Blender Guru - Character Competition

Hellooo!

Wanted to show my latest one, worked on the decor a bit and the lighting!

Attachments

Been so busy with many projects, finally made some time today to work on the hair!

Attachments

The hair looks good in the viewport view. Are you going to combine the still visible polygon hairs of the boy with the particle hair?

love the concept! It seems alot better than ghostbuster! Since you want this girl ghost look not scary while the boy looks scary. The girl ghost looks so perfect. I think the boy should look more little scary but still look cute! I would love to forward looking your progress to come! Keep up!

The way my tests are going i just might go full particle system.

Ahaha, you flatter me! I agree, i am still not sure of how i will deal with the boy. Many things can affect his look, expression, texture, eyes, etc.

Thanks tux!

Fixed the hands proportions (it was too big).

Changed the style of the ear to suit the style of the character.

Added eyebrows.

Attachments

Started retopologizing the boy, and did a quick re-sculpt!

Attachments

Hey guys! A lot of new stuff on this update.

Worked from hair to shorts on the boy and his pose. C&C welcomed!

Attachments

I think the ghost behind needs to be a bit transparent and glowing like a dreamy glow.

Looking great. I agree with @StarkDesigns. I think there should be a brighter glow at the point where the ghost comes out of the bear. Loving it so far. Can’t wait to see more

@StarkDesigns

Yeah, i’ll definitely add the glow at the end. Image is still early WIP. The transparent part i’m not so sure, it may be more logical but it doesn’t look better (already tried)!

Hey guys!

I started working on the spirits hair and fixed her body. Worked on the shoes and added nails as well.

Which do you thing is better, first lighter version or the second with darker ambient occlusion?

Attachments

This is coming along nicely, Yanal.

I’d prefer the darker version. It would be easier to focus on the character without the bright spot lamps in the background. They are quite distracting.

Have you tried to light the whole scene by using the light that emits from the ghost as the key light along with some subtle fill lights?

A very good point, the brighter version gave the spirit a more sprit look, but with your point, i’ll have to find another way.

Yeah actually she does emmit light, any stronger and it will mess up with the boy. Do you think i should darken the background? or maybe remove the spots?

Your work goes very well. Interesting and I quote with minoribus :wink:

Yeah actually she does emmit light, any stronger and it will mess up with the boy. Do you think i should darken the background? or maybe remove the spots?

Yes, I’d remove the spots. Since the background is blurred it should be possible to paint the spots away with some clone tool.

Regarding the boy/ghost/lighting topic - I understand what you mean. But not every light in the scene must be visible to the viewer. I think you did that already. Imho it would enhance the story telling if the boy was not lit that much by the strong frontal light and instead of that more by the ghost. In my perception the front lights battles with the light from the ghost and it is not as clear as it could be, by what the boy is influenced.

I like the darker one better. What I meant by brighter glow was you could add a fog glow or something like that in the compositor to make the edges of the ghost glow.

@Medal71 @minoribus @Nathan.Ferguson

Thanks guys, i really appreciate all your feedback input, i added all of them to my to-do-list, to see what works and what doesn’t I am looking forward to your future input as well x)!

Hey guys. on this latest WIP I worked more on the spirit’s hair and increased her light emission a bit to make the glow more obvious.

Attachments