Blender Guru creating a huge collage of donut renders to make an NFT for Blender Dev Fund

Somehow, I get the feeling you can’t put someone in jail for something that isn’t a crime…

5 Likes

What’s the title of that video? I would love to watch it to get a better understanding of what KiraTV meant.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s possible any government can pass a law to punish you for something you have already done before the law even existed :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Whenever I read your posts that are close to politics there’s negative attitude and some misconceptions and that is spreading false informations.

if you have made a lot of money from tokens yourself, you might actually have a jail cell waiting for you in the near future

Why earning money would be a felony? Because of using blockchain? Or maybe because someone is not paying taxes from capital gains? In most modern countries with income taxation if you are not informing about your all your sources of income, you can be a target for tax office. It’s more probably with bigger money, most people who earn few bucks are not high calibre criminals :wink: It’s a normal case in law that hiding your income could be considered as tax fraud.
(obvious annotation - I’m not a tax lawyer :wink: )

Please be more specific, add a source of your information; otherwise it’s just a confabulation and fake news.

4 Likes

I think the mentioned video is specifically talking about
a. projects and project handlers that established a roadmap and requested monetary participation for their project, knowing full well from the start they had no intention of going through with it.
b. “celebrities” or “influencers” that advertised projects without disclosing they were paid to do so.

Which are things that were already illegal in some parts of the world or goes against the terms and conditions of some websites well before last year.

Depending on where you are in the world that might or might no be illegal and might or might not entitle you to jail time and or fines if proven guilty.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/andrewpprice/status/1518032856651829248

Well then…

2 Likes

It’s a shame. I thought NFT art was all about distributing pieces that are functionally identical yet made unique by minor visual alterations and a hash linking to metadata linking to the address of a file on a server.

$13,000 is nothing to shy away from though. Maybe asking for $1,500 for the picture of a donut was misreading the target audience ?

1 Like

Just keep grifting, just keep grifting :notes:

2 Likes

Andrew Price just learned what we have all come to know over recent months. Sites like Rarable will happily give you details on people who made big money or even became millionaires from these tokens, but what they don’t tell you is that the vast majority of people who come in will not make much money at all, and many will actually lose money.

Even big companies like Ubisoft failed to turn the tokens into the money printer they thought it would be. It can be said that this was a gold rush and it is behaving like one, the vast majority who went to the gold fields never found their fortune either.

5 Likes

I’m unclear why he won’t accept the $13,000 for it and donate that. $13,000 seems like a decent sale. How much was he expecting to make? Was he expecting to be the next Beeple? … No one thinks million dollar sales are a normal experience right? How much wealth would there have to be in the world to make even $13,000 sales a normal, regular experience for average artist selling?

Plus looking at the comments on his video on the subject, it’s a bunch of people who hate the tokens, other people defending them despite not buying them themselves, and a small number of people who defend them AND buy them.

I don’t think he is sad about making just 13k. The main issue is that the mosaic- which indeed is the spotlight- did not sell.

Are there two images - one donut and one mosaic - and only the donut sold or is there one image - a mosaic of a donut - which sold below the asking price for 13000?

They released IIRC 30 selected images of individual donuts from the mosaic, for which they asked (the ether equivalent of) $1,500 each and sold 8/30, and the mosaic for which they asked around $20,000 which did not find any “investor” yet.

1 Like

He might of have more success long term if he sold each donut as a NFT. However minting that amount would cost too much money on ETH in gas fee alone.

I’m not sure how many of those he’d really sell. No one can claim donut renders are “rare” or “unique” in the blender community, and flooding the market with too many of them would drive that point home quickly.

Frankly, his target audience is basically people who don’t need a “token” to own an “original” donut render because there’s already one on their hard drive.

1 Like

If rocks can sell for millions surely donuts can sell for millions :joy:

That’s great to see the project completed.

My donut is close to the NiLS donut.

I linked to an NFT marketplace out of habit of providing sources to back up claims when possible, but it occurs to me that I can’t remember precisely whether linking to NFT marketplaces at all is banned or only linking to them to promote NFTs.

I can’t edit the post while it’s pending approval, but if the rule is “no links to NFT marketplaces at all” I apologize and am absolutely fine removing the link.

Well, maybe not millions, but a few of the donuts sold for about about a thousand dollars (or whatever .5 Eth was worth before the current crypto crash), so they’re worth something to someone. That said, one was resold and it had already deprecated to only a little over half it’s original value, so fancy rocks might be a safer investment.

(I thought I heard something about crypto currencies starting to recover, but those $ values for 0.5 ETH went down since last night. It was over a thousand last night.)

Anyways, it’s usually the biggest, shiniest rocks that sell for the most. Of course, we can make diamonds artificially now, so it seems silly to expect consumers to continue respecting the artificial scarcity of natural ones when assessing a gems value, but then renaming the cheapy brown industrial garbage diamonds to Chocolate Diamonds made them valuable to, so I guess with the right marketing you can sell anything if you find a big enough fool.

I removed the link