Blender install

I have downloaded and installed both blender and python 2,6 When I run blender the command line interface gives me the popup “Compiled with python version 2.5.2 ‘Import site failed:’ Use -v for traceback checking for installed Python… No Python found. Only built in modules are available some scripts may not run continuing hapily” Can anybody tell me what is going on with this. The CLI will not allow me to type anything into it. the Blender GUI pops up on top of this but it won’t do anything. All I am trying to do at this point is go the tutorials. Please help.

All the error message means is that blender isn’t finding you’re python install. You probably need to install python 2.5 (someone correct me if I’m wrong here). But luckily, blender should run just fine without python, so no problem there. The command line is used for error/progress messages from scripts in blender, and you can’t type in it. If you’re starting with blender look at the wikihttp://wiki.blender.org and follow some of the tutorials there.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I believe 2.6 is a completely different breed of python and is not backwards compatible. this is most likely the reason you are having problems. Stick with the most recent 2.5 version and you shouldn’t have problems.
Cheers

Another question, relating to this one, do you install the python outside of your “Blender” Directory, or within the python 25 zipped folder?

you install python to pythons own directory.