Blender is awsome with 3d but what about other mediums like pictures, music, vid ect.

I love how Blender is a top notch program that can compete against some of the best 3d design software and yet still be free! But you would think that if there is opensource 3d this good, then shouldnt there be a opensource graphic editor/ animator alternatives to flash and photoshop. or even free music editing software.
I did find some, but they dont… “put out” like Blender does, The best image editing open source, ive found is “Gimp” but it doesnt offer animation or have tools that are remotely like the top graphic software(mainly adobe). Also the most popular open source music editing software i found is called “Audacity” but havent used it yet so cant say much about it. Oh and video editing, i havent done alot of research on this either but it seems like the only good video open source software is usualy only for with Linux and Mac, which i love linux, but it doesnt have the popularity that is needed, which i guess is the center of this whole down fall, money = popularity. oh and another very complex 3d open source program, called K3d, its not very popular but i guess it has potential, i started off with it but i like blender better.
Anyway I was thinking that blender sould either start in other mediums or join with other opensource developers for like an opensource media machine but, thats hopeful thinking. but what do you think, or do you know of any good opens source suggestions.

Blender can do artwork, video editing, compositing, animation, games, and simple image editing.

Making Blender having some simple tools be able to edit sound files may be a nice idea but adding a whole fully featured 2D application would be too much in my opinion, it would be a lot of work and could end up bloating the program.

This site keeps track of open source alternatives. I’m not going to comment on your ideas about what someone else (the developers) should do to satisfy your whims. Do your research first.

I don’t think so! I am sure 99% of the people here will agree with me. There are so many reasons why it would be pointless for me to try and point them all out, but here is a fast review:

More resources needed
Too many options=cluster=no shortcuts for everything=more buttons=less view=sad sad sad
Triple bug reports
More resources needed
More resources needed
More resources needed
More resources needed
Bugs bugs bugs
buttons buttons buttons
developer nightmares
developer attempts at suicides increases
not enough chains…

off the top of my head, for linux workstations:
Ardour for music/sound together with audacity.
well, as you know theres Gimp/Krita for raster 2d.
incskape/xara xtreeme for vector 2d.

and blender for video editing, as much as its possible in there, there just is no good specialized OSS video editor, that would either be stable enough or feature rich. :frowning:

well its just a thought, Im more than satisfied with how blender is now, and that open source exists in the first place. I guess what im trying to say is its strange that there isnt software, that is at a level of blender, in other fields. and about the resource thing im currently running flash, blender, mozzila, yahooIM and listening to music all with no prob on a 2 ghz prossesor, and a 1 gig of ram, so i doubt it would be that much of a burden to system resorces, anyway thanks for the links. ill check the stuff out.

The new gimp will change your mind :smiley:
Audacity really is cool like Felix said for sound.
You can use Ktoon for flash animations if you are willing to boot into linux.
I usually just do my animations in blender and use SWFtools to convert to flash though.

What new GIMP is that? 3.0?

I remember when 2.0 was supposed to be “the most advanced image manipulation app” available. Lo and behold, it wasn’t. It might be roughly equivalent to Pshop 5.0, if you’re willing to ignore useability quirks like having your dialogue panels strewn across the raw desktop.

The O.P. has a valid point - Blender developers are in a class of their own.

I remember when 2.0 was supposed to be “the most advanced image manipulation app” available. Lo and behold, it wasn’t. It might be roughly equivalent to Pshop 5.0, if you’re willing to ignore useability quirks like having your dialogue panels strewn across the raw desktop.

Yea yea yea, I almost forgot, for a 2d application to be good it has to mimic the look and feel of photo$hop.

Lucky for us we have Gimp photo to appeal to those who cant handle the floating toolbars.

I use black box for windows, my desktop operates more like linux, so I can use to the old gimp UI for my work.With a click I can make the toolbars always stay on top.

Gimp has Dynamic hotkeys, I dont have to use the toolbars very often.