Blender is blue-screening my PC (another question)

it’ll say DirectX12 in the first page of the dxdiag.exe tool. in the second tab (Display) is where it will show the 12_2 under Feature Levels, as well as the version number (mine is 31.0.15.3640 … note that these drivers are provided by NVidia, NOT microsoft, for my GPU (rtx3080) … yours will likely be different … and i’m a version or two behind anyway)

1 Like

They’re all in your Windows all at once :slight_smile: But your official Windows DX version - is 12. But don’t be afraid, older versions are also included in your system :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll try that :slightly_smiling_face:

@KDLynch , @goorman
I was also wondering: Is there a point in taking my PC to computer repair service?

I don’t think so, it shows BSOD only when you work in a Blender, or is it also occurs somewhere else outside of it?

If so, is your PC is still on warranty? You could’ve at least got yourself consultation about whether you should repair it or not.

Mine’s PC a way slower than yours: i5 6500, GTX1060 6GB and 16GB of RAM, but I’ve never faced myself with these such things like BSOD.

It does, but at random time and once-twice a month. Pretty irritating😕

Unfortunately, not

My previous PC was 11 years old and a much weaker build, but BOSD never happened to it. That is the reason why I am worried about BOSD on my new one

You could give it a try and re-install your Windows if you wish, I’m not sure about if it’s gonna help you or not, but that’s just the first thing that came into my head

Sounds extreme!
I really appreciate any help, but is there any other opssible solutions?

BSOD is a one big pain in the ass I might say, Back in my childhood days when I was just a little kid and had Windows XP installed on my PC, I faced with BSOD way too often, like 5-6 times in a year. The first problem was with HDD, then with RAM (as far as I remember so), other cases were with Windows itself. So I kinda know how you feel about that.

Yes, you could say that.

I’ve just found these useful tips, and yes, I also forgot to mention to give a try and load in Safe Mode!

Hello!

Thank you for your advice
I am now trying out what you suggested, and with no luck for now
I wonder: if there had been a problem with GPU or its driver, Blender would have not gone blue blue screen when I use Cycles CPU compute? Or it does not work like that? I am not an expert in PC hardware, so ut way be a silly question, but still

Don’t you show the error code on the blue screen?
If you check the error code, you can check where the error occurs.

How to check the log

Internet surfing and rendering errors occur,
If there is no problem with hardware diagnostics
This may be due to Bad sector on the storage device.

In the case of Bad sector, it is found in a thorough examination, even if it is not found in a general examination.

※ The error code when the blue screen occurs is 0x7a and the second parameter is 0x9c.

Bad sector needs quick action.

Hihi,

So you tryna say when you switching from GPU to CPU in your Cycles’ settings it solves the problem with the Blue Screen, is that right?

No, both GPU and CPU produce same error. I am just wondering if this can be a sign that the problem is not in GPU or its driver

Well yeah, maybe that’s the case. Have you tried to run your scene on an other PC?

I am going to try it right now
I have also installed new GPU driver (and ticked clean installation in its setup wizzard). This operation causer blue screen with “memory management” for the first time. When I tried to install deriver again it worked fine. I don’t know if it is important information
Rendering scene in Blenders 3.2.1 and 3.3.0 produced the same blue-screening

It’s good to hear that, try it out and let me know if that helps

Try Blender 2.93 & 3.6.1

Sorry, I forgot tot say, I tried 3.6.1 too. Today earier (at night) :sweat_smile:. Unfortunately, to no avail

1 Like

Gotcha

I’ve mentioned 2.93 cause it’s a bit old version and it might eat less resources than new ones. So you could try 2.93 as well.

I understand. I am installing 2.93 now to check it out

1 Like

How many watts is the PSU? Going to guess around 1100-1500w since you’re running two cards?

I’m not running two cards. I have Intel Core i9 9900KF 3.60GHz with no integrated graphics card. The only GPU I have is 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060. According to specifications on the official GIGABYTE (my GPU’s manufacturer) website, minimum PSU is 550w, I have got 750w (XILENCE XP750R10 if that matters)

Do you think that 750 is insufficient?
The most popular blue-screen error I have is kernel power with different bug numbers. Could if be due to PSU being faulty?