Blender is blue-screening my PC (another question)

Hello!

I have a scene. I render it using Cycles and get a blue screen. It is not just Blender crashing – the whole PC is going BOSD.

I tried rendering animation of different number of frames (2, 3, 5, 10, 15, 30 and 110). Bluescreen occurs always, but at different times: BOSD can happen when Blender is Sampling, when Blender is loading objects, even when Blender writes in white text «Finished». In all the cases rendered video is a damaged file that cannot be read. I am using GPU rendering, but if I switch render stings to CPU, nothing changes

Turning on rendered view in the viewport slows PC down, but no BOSD happens

Most of the time BOSDs are «kernel power» (this one is the most popular) and «memory management». I guess it needs to be noted that I have BODS with these and other errors even if I am not using Blender and just surfing the Internet with a browser, though it happens rarely.

I am running a custom-built PC with: Intel Core i9 9900KF 3.60GHz, 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, 32 Gb RAM

The whole PC is approximately two years old, none of the components were bought second-hand. I did not overclock anything.

Blender used to write «system is out of GPU memory», but I deleted a few objects, and this issue was resolved. I am not sure if it relevant

I looked through this (Cycles rendering is blue-screening my PC!) and some other topics related to my problem, and here is what I have tried:

1. I downloaded and installed newest available driver for my GPU from the official website

2. I watched my GPU during rendering and it did not turn on its fans (my GPU turns them on when it decides that it needs more cooling)

3. I ran FurMark stress tests:

I ran FurMark stress test with 1920x1080 resolution, Anti-Alaising off, dynamic background and burn-in for 17 minutes and GPU temperature did not go up higher than 69 Celsius). BOSD did not happen

I ran FurMark stress test with 1920x1080 resolution, Anti-Alaising 2X MSAA, dynamic camera for 17 minutes and GPU temperature again did not go up higher than 69 Celsius). BOSD did not happen

I ran FurMark stress test preset 1080, (GPU temperature did not go up higher than 69 Celsius). The app gave me SCORE:7877 points (131 FPS, 60000 ms). BOSD did not happen.

1. I also ran Prime 95 torture test (Smallest FFT) and it found 1 error after one hour and a half (fatal error rounding was 0.4907226563, expected less than 0.4)

2. I tried switching from OptX to CUDA in «preferences»

3. I turned viewport render stings to wireframe so that it does not load GPU

Nothing of the above helped, unfortunately

I haven’t tried undervolting yet because 69 degrees at stress test and 40 degrees when I do nothing on my PC seem fine to me. Am I wrong? Does RTX 3060’s temperature must be lower?

Could you please give me some advice on how to fix those blue screens during Cycles render?
How can I define which part of my PC is making the computer BOSD?

I will appreciate any help
I am using Blender 3.6.0

any chance your PSU is about to take a dump? that can certainly cause seemingly random BSODs under stress. it’s possible that the gpu is getting full power, but that could be causing a voltage drop elsewhere on the mobo.
and i’m sure without looking that my 3080 as well as the cpu get much hotter than those temps in this laptop, without BSODs, judging from the heat output off the exhaust vents.
could also try a complete clean reinstall of blender, in case it’s some low level library causing the issue.

2 Likes

How can I check this?

the way i do it at work is just swap out the psu with a new one. if problem goes away, wella, done. if problem persists, swap back (or mark psu as “used but good?”) :smiley: but i always have a couple spare psu’s on hand. actually testing one is harder… sure you can get the output voltage easily enough, but without variable loads on the circuits it’s not really telling you anything.

1 Like

Is there a way to test this?

Hi,

At first, do you have any ability to figure out what BSOD is telling you? Maybe some code errors or things like that?

Second, Google showed me that the highest possible temperature for RTX 3060 before it’s automatically shuts down is 93°С, with the power consumption of 170 W.

That’s food for thought though. Didn’t you think that the problem might be with the Windows itself? Maybe some viruses or stuff like that?

To see your temperatues, volages and other things, you could try to use 3rd party software, take a look at this one article, I think it could help you:

I’ve been dealing with AIDA, GPU-Z and CPU-Z, they helped me a lot with temperature sensors.

1 Like

I scanned my PC with a paid antivirus and it did not detect anything

I used that one to monitor my GPU’s temperature while running FurMark, it seemed to show almost the same temperature as FurMark itself (69 degrees + - 2)

I have got “kernel power” Bug Check codes 159, 0, 26 (more often then others), 340, 239, 190 and others
I tried googling how to fix them, but in most cases i saw info only about reinstalling drivers. Did you come aross any other tops?:thinking:

maybe your problem is in your drivers, in fact. It is hard to find the real problem since I haven’t seen your PC IRL, don’t know what you’ve been doing before the problem has occured and things like that. I can only assume based of what you’ve told me.

Try to reduce your render res. to something like 500*500 and check if the problem will appear again or not. There were many times when my Blender crashed during render and all that, but never I’ve faced myself with BSOD. Frankly, I do not clearly remember the last time when I got it.

So, what can I tell you:

1. Check once again your drivers, or try to do the CLEAN installation of your GPU driver. It helped me many moons ago to boost up FPS in videogames,
  2. Try a different Blender’s version. Older or more newer (if you aren’t already on a latest one),
  3. If you have such an option, check if the problem occurs on another PC

I don’t see any reasons to keep Googling your question due to the fact that you’re more or less have found the answer on your question, namely - drivers. Each case could be a unique one so I don’t think that surfing around the forums could’ve helped you anyway

What does that mean? Just downloading and installing a new GPU driver is not it, am I right?

You used plural form - driverS. Which drivers should I check apart from GPU’s?

Clean installation means deleting all the olds driver’s files as well. As far as I remember, there’s a free tool out there on the internet, that could help you with it. Sadly, I forgot the name of it :frowning:

Once again, like I’ve said in my previous answer, I haven’t seen your PC as well as what kind of software you use etc. Maybe it is not about GPU, but about something else, dunno. DirectX maybe? Have you tried to update your DX drivers as well?

No, I haven’t yet. I have just looked up “Update DirectX driver” and I found only stuff about updating DirectX itself. Could you please tell me more about updating drivers for it? Drivers for DirectX and version of DirectX are different things, I guess

“Display driver Uninstaller”?

Not really, since you’re using Windows 10/11 your version of DirectX - is 12.

Just so you know:

Windows XP: DirectX 9.0
Windows Vista: DirectX 10
Windows 7/8: DirectX 11
Windows 10/11: DirectX 12

Of course, all of you previous DirectX’s drivers are also included in your system, not only DX12, but older versions like 11, 10 and 9 as well.

To check if you have some updates or not just Google “dx updater” and visit the first link in there. It should be the official Microsoft’s website. There you’ll download yourself a little .exe tool that will check if your DirectX is up to date or not.

As far as I know, it is this tool:

1 Like

Even if I the first windows installed there was windows 10?

Yes, I checked, that’s true

What do you mean?

What do I mean by

?
I mean that I around two years ago I bought a competely new custon built PC. The shop from wich I bouth my PC asked whch windows (version and type - home/pro) I wanted. You wrote that if I have windows 10/11, I have DirectX 12.
I assume that older version of DirectX and drivers for those older versions have never been on my PC.

I hope I understood your phrase

correctly. Please, tell me if I didn’t

they’re all wrapped into the same driver set… on my win11, that’s never had any other win version, i have DX 9.1 through 12.2 … but it’s just referred to as DX 12 (the rest are listed in the feature levels in that dxdiag thing) … that’s for backwards compatibility purposes. :slight_smile: if you have your 12 up to date (last release i think was mid to late June) you’re good there.

Oh, I did not know that. Thank you

Do you mean that 12.2 is DirectX version? Not just 12?