Blender is laggy when using material viewport preview

I sent you a private message, you see notification in your avatar at the top right.

I’ve got the same problem since blender 3.0… in 2.9 and older the material viewport seems to be faster when you chose GPU on Preferences. It looks like this little viewport in newer versions only uses CPU rendering and it makes laggy. Anyoune knows how to solve it or if the blender team knows about this issue?

It’s not that unsuable but it’s anoying… :sweat_smile:

Captura de tela 2022-12-31 140001

Before anyone say to upgrade my hardware… I got a RTX 3070 and i7 10th processor

1 Like

Well I have checked and the material preview window is much slower than the viewport render view. So there does seem to be something slowing it down.
Even changing the preview from cube to sphere takes a while to respond, ie takes time to change.

In this screenshot changing anything in the node setup will render much faster in viewport than the material preview. It is slower both in gpu and cpu render mode.

I would be inclined to think that there is something wrong with the code……………… a bug?

Just for the record this is also much faster in viewport.

1 Like

@henriliaz @DNorman

This old thread did not discuss the material preview in the Material Properties… Better to create a new thread for your topic.

That aside, the material preview updates slower because it is meant to update slower to save performance. Comparable to image editors’ layer thumbnails: the main viewport is more important to update instantaneously while the layer thumbnails always take slightly longer to update their contents.

It’s not a bug. It’s a feature.

1 Like

Blender gets laggy every time you click to show up the preview tab is a weird feature. I got that is for save performance but the old method was good too. It’s anoying for quickly see the materials and eevee is not that accurate to preview them.

You mean that the material preview is not that accurate, correct? I almost never use the preview anymore, and I noticed just now that the preview is incorrect compared to the viewport.

[this looks like a bug, btw)

Yes that is weird, it happens with cycles as well scaling the texture changes the results. the mapping on each side scales differently with strange results. I think there is definitely something wrong with the preview window.

I do not use that preview window I normally preview directly in the viewport.

Yeah… It seems the blender team made something wrong with this preview tab. Anyway it looks better use it directly in viewport nowadays. I’ve been using the old tab preview because I work in larger scenes for achitecture and for me it was easier to quickly see or set a material. Thanks bro.