Blender is very good as a video editor

Hi,

I majored in cinema so I have used a lot of paid/free apps for video editing.

Blender gave me quite a headache while learning modeling and texturing, but it’s actually very good as a video editor.

Many video editors are limitd for the free use, or many of them are too bloated/too slow.
I was surprised how simple/fast/useful blender is for editing video files.

Heck, I don’t have to pay for the adobe premiere anymore.

I just wanted to say I agree with you!

While I don’t do anything special with my video editing (just chopping up video segments), blender has been the best so far in just doing that. I tried a lot of other open source or freeware video editors and most of them were either broken and crashed very often or had a really tedious workflow.

I had totally forgot that blender could edit video till I stumbled on a “top 5 open source video editors” that listed blender. I’m really happy now that I use my favourite 3d modelling program for video editing also :slight_smile:

Who is the winner ? :wink:

I agree, but on one thing its not that handy.
I wished it had an easy way to drop text on Video Editing / Compositing
So we could more simply add text for, subtitles, titles, notations.
Text like that is just plain 2D text font over a render result, so on top of the movie frame. and doesnt need to be rendered text in layers or so. Besides that i agree

Wasn’t this added recently? IIRC about a week ago someone added the ability to add subtitles easily. But I haven’t tried it out yet so I might be mistaken.

Did you manage to output usable h.264 video files?
I like the video editor but never managed to generate a video file that works across platforms like a h.264 made with adobe media encoder.
Maybe I just haven’t found the right settings yet, but I tried (and failed) a lot.

I didn’t even know you could do such a thing in blender

Here’s info. :slight_smile:

People can also thank the Open Movies for making the video editor the way it is today, I believe both Gooseberry and Tears of Steel brought decent improvements to it.

I do wonder though, how many people here use it for 3D animations done in Blender and how many simply import their own camera footage and use it just for video editing?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong topic.

@sanne

Wow this software just keeps on giving!

Hey it’s actually a pretty good editor!
I thought it was going to be a bit half made because of the old saying (jack of all trades, master of none), but hey turns out i was wrong.

because it doesn’t have all the trades, doesn’t have music synthesizer, yet :slight_smile:

Yup, it does. Even if you have used it for many years it can still surprise you with what it can do. It is such a complex software, you can spend years using only one or two of its main features, and suddenly you find out about another function you never thought about or looked for, and it’s like Christmas. :slight_smile:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.76/Sequencer

Boom! :smiley:

Edit: 2000 posts! Boom again! :wink: Only took 12 years, lol…