Blender Issue list

If you have something to add, please comment.

I think developers should start making lists about what issues they have with their users.

This is essentially a list of (mostly) big and obvious feature requests. Who is supposed to do anything with that? This is not useful.

Haha, your avatar is expressing your emotion very precisely, but I think it still is useful, because at least other artists will not have unrealistic expectations, because sometimes it seams that a feature is available, but when you spend a few days trying out every possible way, you understand that it just is not possible. It is also useful, because sometimes these things are forgotten, even if they are in wiki todo list, as some things are for years now.

bug report findings if it can be reproduced on another platform.

Only in the twilight zone called FOSS you find such opinion; in the real world developers are tasked with fixing users problems.

@karlis: don’t waste your time, it is pointless.

That’s your fantasy. You must not have a lot of experience with “real world” software. In the real world, product managers decide which features get worked on, which is more in line with what is believed to attract more new customers, rather than fixing any issues existing customers may have.

Anyway, since I’m having such a great day, here are some pearls of wisdom regarding your list:

1. Use a boolean modifier to remove the uneven bits
  2. I don’t know what you are talking about here, is it the UV Project modifier? If so, of course you may need high mesh resolution because it works at the mesh level. You can also project textures using shaders with near endless flexibility, if you put a little work into it
  3. I don’t think you need “mesh” force fields for that, nor does it sound like a good idea. Just use point forcefields (with negative strength) parented to your (rigid body) mesh objects
  4. This is something that has to be implemented by the addon developers, if they really care to. General parametric modeling is a really big feature. You can do some of it with addons like Sverchok.
  5. There are no “Render Nodes”. I think I get what you mean, but you’re wrong.

My “fantasy” is the result of 27 years of experience working as developer first as employee and then as consultant in a thing called “Real World”.

I’m pretty sure this refers to these non-bugs:

I couldn’t quite hear the audience question but I believe the issue also got raised at the end of this recent BF Con talk.

As the presenter notes, in most sane programs, e.g. Nuke, if you want to project an image on to a plane, all you need are the minimum number of verts to define the plane (4). Blender, however, needs a much higher vertex density to work reliably.

@jpb06: Maybe I should have been more clear: You must not have a lot of experience as an end-user of any of Blender’s contenders. Whatever your 27 years consist of, I doubt it is related much to end-user software.

I can guarantee you, you’re going to have the same problem in literally every program that uses triangles, with all per-vertex data. It will not magically interpolate smoothly across the surface, it will interpolate linearly across individual triangles. That includes UVs, Vertex Colors and Normals, Vertex Shaders, etc. The solution is to use more triangles, or to do the projection at the pixel/sample level (For simple planar projection, you can do that with Cycles shaders, but it’s not so straightforward).

If you use “real” planes or NURBS you can interpolate smoothly, but in practice you probably implement that as - guess what - a bunch of triangles.

Good to have you back Zalamander

HaHa, Marco!
Where’s the smoke there’s a fire.

paolo

Except it does, but only if you are using BI Materials and check the UV Project option for the material.

Let me repeat: The solution is to use more triangles, or to do the projection at the pixel/sample level. BI can read the position/direction of the projectors and do it in the shader. In Cycles you would have to do some trickery with drivers, because you cannot reference other objects, but it is possible to achieve the same effect.

But it is impossible to achieve this effect using per-vertex UV coordinates, this is a general problem*!

overall valid and good points

Point 5; would be nice, maybe the sverchock addon can be modified/used for this?

point 7; https://vimeo.com/65289500
Pyroevil is working on a mesher so with molecular you could do cloth tearing :smiley:

point 8; could be done with a python script? (maybe there is already a script out there just wishing to be found…)

Point 10; solution is Batch rendering :slight_smile: see picture above that is part of the render+ addon.

point 11. visualisation for generated textures would be indeed a nice thing to have!

Right. We know that developers wont listen to us anyway.

Curious to know how blender development gathers issues and requests from users. Is there a bug tracking site and how do users submit issues and requests?

I was about to write a comment but it is pointlessly lost effort.

Technically, they are not obligated to listen to users since the BF pays their salary. If you donated to the BF, then you can only hope your requests are fulfilled. Bug reports are good but feature requests are pointless since naturally, the developers have their own issues they would like to work on and so does the BF.

On the other hand, you’d probably still experience something similar with a closed-source commercial product where you might wait years for bug fixes, but with open-source at least you have the ability to do something about it. IMHO, this is where open-source has an advantage, at least for those with programming resources.

The best chance of getting a feature into Blender is to do it yourself (or hire somebody) and submit the patch. After that, the decision is up to the BF.

What makes you think that bugs aren’t fixed in commercial programs or that developers don’t listen to users? When I’m thinking worst kind of projects in this context they are often open source and have roots in linux. Most closed source commercial programs don’t have the luxury to be stubborn about bugs, they need to be fixed and there must be new features or people simply choose another, better program.

Nuke projects UVW so that perspective projections work across polygons. You interpolate all three and then divide UV by W to get the actual in uv.