Blender lags when moving the timeline playhead even without any animation

Hi!

I have this scene without any animation on it. I checked the dope sheet and set it to “Show Hidden” just in case. There are no keyframes set on anything as far as I am able to see.

Whenever I try to slide the playhead, Blender lags. There are times wherein I skip frames with the playhead, and it responds quickly most of the time but sometimes it also causes Blender to lag.

I’ve never experienced this before and I’ve worked on more complex scenes than this one, AFAIK. My scene’s vertices are at 408,404 but I cannot wrap my mind around the fact that the whole program keeps lagging on this even without any sort of animation going on.

I tried looking around the web and nobody seems to specifically address this issue. Would love to be forwarded to it just in case I missed it.

Thanks for the help!

It’s hard to guess anything without seeing the file. Anyway, I would suggest you create a new empty file and append all your objects to that new file and see what happens.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for the reply.

While I was waiting for some help, I tried dicing around. I ended up toggling the view layers of each of the objects I had in the scene.

Turns out I might have bumped into an issue with a carpet model that might have used a ton of hair or something. Blender started working fine again after I removed it.

I just think it’s weird since there’s basically no animation going on and everything works fine when I orbit or move within the viewport. I wonder why it would be that different when playing the timeline or moving the playhead.

Super appreciate the reply, though. :pray:

1 Like

I’m glad you found the reason for your problem.

1 Like

Particles re-calculate every frame, animated or not, so this lag when changing frames is actually quite common :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I see! This is noted. Thanks, Joseph!

1 Like