Blender + Mac OSX Leopard - Will it work?

Want to register the same frustrations. Just got a new macbook the other week (specs as above) and have had the same issues with clicking buttons. I have found that reducing the colours to thousands (System preferences > Displays) helps (a bit), as does hiding the dock.

Another thing, coming from a PC, the shortcut keys have been a struggle (render current frame dammit! - not dashboard). If anyone has had any joy with this, I would like to hear it. (when i use blender, i use a microsoft keyboard, which has a nice program called ‘Microsoft intelliType Pro’ (although i take offense to the name), which has gone some way to helping).

I should not to complain too much though; the computer I upgraded from was so slow that it was incapable of playing a DVD. Everything except the button clicking runs substantially faster. Not mad, just disappointed.

p.s. i know alt+F12 will render the current frame, but that is not the point! - i wanna just be able to press F12.

p.s. i know alt+F12 will render the current frame, but that is not the point! - i wanna just be able to press F12.

Turn off the default Mac keyboard shortcut for F12 and it’ll work.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304733#l4

System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts: lets you turn of the F8-F12 preferences they way they come preinstalled…!

Hi,

Do you still have the performance issue with Blender and leopard ???
Try to hide the dock, it solved the problem on my Macbook. Activate the automatic hiding in the dock submenu.

Good luck :cool:

Hi,

I have hidden the dock and reduced the colours to Thousands instead of Millions. Not that much change.

The speed slows down when i am doing something like deleting a number of faces, or sub-divide, or box-select. for example, the starting cube; deleting 6 faces will take about 4 seconds. But then so will deleting about 1000 faces (4 seconds again).

Strange happenings…

Seems these Leopard issues are mainly due to the lack of GC… Hum… Wonder if Blender will show any slowdown on a MacPro.
I will try it soon with no risk: i always kept the former OS on another disk to make sure to have none of the usual “new OS issues”.:ba:

hi
blender is really slow after installing leopard on my macbook hiding the dock doesnt make a difference hope they release an update which solves it
after reading what everyone else is saying it seems to be mainly the macbook that has problems

I’ve experienced the same problems with blender on a Macbook with OSX 10.5 (slow, jerky ui). Out of curiosity I installed blender under Parallels 3 running WinXP. Surprisingly the performance of blender under Parallels with WinXP is MUCH better than running directly under Leopard. I haven’t tested out anything else other than to confirm that the interface works as expected, so your mileage may vary.

Has someone tested a Leopard blender build?
It is very tedious to use blender (on a MacBook), I hope someone finds the solution soon…
HELP! Noooooooooo…
I’ll you my mom’s iMac for now.
Maybe if I ran a blender with a light linux distro with Q, blender will work, but that’s not a real solution.

note, the sketchup problem is not specifically MacBook and it’s relatively minor.

I suspect that the problems people are experiencing are due to the graphics driver (specifically, the intel one). I’m now compiling and using Blender just fine on this MacBook Pro running Leopard (nvidia graphics).

Hi
I use and compile blender on a MacPro with Nvidia-Card for a while now.
The only thing i recognized is faster python, some faster grafiics, no
other glitches.
Important if you compile with 10.5.x:
Leopard has “libiconv.2.dylib” version 7.0 (Tiger has version 5), so it is
not downwards-compatible out of the box.
Also you have to remove the -u_dummy flag for succesful compiling.
BF_PYTHON_LINKFLAGS = ‘-u __dummy -u _PyMac_Error -framework System -framework Python’

Jens

Hi all,

I tried to recompile it on my Macbook, and it does not change anything. It’s really a pain that it works with Tiger and not with Leopard.

If I had more time, I would try to fix it by myself but … this is not a small application to debug :wink:

Has anyone tried running the PPC version on the Intel machines? I know when Photoshop had some interface bug that running the PPC version worked. It will launch and run slower but it may at least be usable.

I just tried it, and it’s even worse. We will have to wait for an update from the Blender dev team …

Hmpf, that’s very annoying. I hope that it will be solved soon… :frowning:

Hey
What´s the problem?
Just compiling or mostly running?
Wanna have an actual SVN for Leo , not downwardscompatible ?
Have it in everyday-use here, but thats on a MacPro + Nvidia.

Cheers…Jens

There is no problem with the physics engine, I mean the interface in a game is snappy. (random)

The only things that seem very much not snappy are:
-clicking any buttons, especially in the buttons window or on toolbars.
-displaying menus
-adding or removing objects
-Selecting, scaling or rotating any mesh or vertex (movings things is fine)
-resizing views (maximizing or switching screens is fine)
-adding or deleting objects and things like ctrl-x (clear all)

most other functions seem OK, including animation playback and panning or zooming.

I hope this helps with the diagnosis…

(Mac OS 10.5.1, 2GHz, 2GB, MacBook, Aug. 2006)

Gah, same problem here.
Menus and buttons extremely unresponsive.
I’m on a macbook. 1.25 ghz ram running leopard.
I tried blender on my Bro’s MB Pro and it runs great so yes, it probably is an issue with integrated graphics somehow.

:frowning:

I’m surprised that there isn’t a fix yet. I wish I knew how to fix it.

Ditto for me,
Ditto for me.

I discovered something: having fewer 3D views speeds it up. Usually people like to work with 3 or 4 3D views, however, I find that blender runs almost normally if I only have one 3D view.
Also, the smaller the Blender window, the faster.
So the problem is with multiple 3D views.

Again, not a real solution, but it’s better than…