Blender model of Sauna, asking for advice on how to make this look more pro

Hi, I’m working on this model for a client, the sauna is the feature. I’d really appreciate some pointers in how to make this better.

I think it looks pretty good as is but I’d really like to take it to a next level. Obviously a Blender model, then imported into Photoshop, with a AO and glossy indirect passes.

I just can’t tell anymore from staring at it too long.

Please, any Blender and/or Photoshop pointers, I’m all ears:

3 Likes

It is looking good.

My only thought is the left hand branch that is in the foreground breaking the shape of the “product”. I presume the sauna is a product, if it was my product I would say get rid of that branch, the sauna would feel more “hero”.

1 Like

Oh interesting point. These folks sent me several precedent images all of which have the sauna someone obscured by trees and bushes so it seems like that’s what they’re looking for in this particular case. I totally hear you though. I’m making a few tweaks, going to post an updated version in a few mins

The camera angle looks a bit stuffy…
Don’t you think it’s better if the bottom comes out a little. :slightly_smiling_face:

(I find the image and attach it because it is difficult for me to explain it in English.)

I think most of the images you can see in the search are similar to what you showed me.

1 Like

That’s very interesting, I just got another comment that my camera lens is too distorting (I’m using 35 mm) and suggested I make it less foreshortened. So many directions!

Thank you for your comment. Hopefully I’ll be doing more than one view for these folks which would make this much easier!

1 Like

Ok I’m going off the deep end with this: here are 2 versions, the first at 35 mm and the other at 50 mm:

I like the first one, others like the second one. Argh!!

1 Like

The modeling is overall good. There are some things I would improve when it comes to lighting and rendering.

• In a real photo, the light sources would appear much brighter compared with the rest of the scene. Right now, the underside of the branches and the grass look pretty bright, which suggests the scene is a bit on the overexposed side. However, if that was the case, the sky and light bulbs would appear pure white and have obvious bloom. You could probably get something more pleasing to the eye by adding some color correction or rgb curves in the compositor or by playing with the color management settings to get more contrast. Right now, this looks like the default color management settings (filmic color transform with medium contrast), which can look a bit drab and desaturated.

• You can gain more realism by adding camera effects. I see you already have depth of field. This is good, but there are other effects you can add that will make a render look like a legit photo and give a subtle sense of realism. If you don’t already have it, you should try bloom/glare and really make those light bulbs glow. You can also add lens distortion in the compositor (keep it really subtle, it’s easy to go overboard with this one). Then, there are effects which are easier added in Photoshop: film grain and vignetting (a darkening near the edge of that photos caused by the optics of a camera). If you add a small amount of all these effects, It will add a little something to an image that just makes it look right and most people won’t be able to say what it is.

• Are you rendering with Cycles or Eevee? I am wondering, because I see some shading weirdness. The inside of the sauna has some weird darkening on the wall, which doesn’t affect the wood platform right next to it. Also, if this is Cycles, you would usually have no reason to render an AO pass, as Cycles already has lighting that’s more realistic than AO.

I like the 35 mm image, it has more depth and a more dynamic and interesting look to me.

1 Like

35mm lens is recommended for lens specifications. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

haha! I may agree with you there

Thank you for all these insighful tips! I’m reworking this right now, and yes I agree on the 35mm, it’s just a more interesting perspective to me.

As for the interior, the upper portion of the back wall is glass, with an uplight washing it. Then up on the ceiling are two linear fixtures that wash the side walls.

I’m using Cycles, and i did use an AO pass which I think I’ll get rid of. I’ll pop it up to high contrast for a little more punch. I’ll post an update soon. Thank so much!

1 Like

Ok I think I’m done with this… among other things I added a tiny bit of film grain and dialed the glare up a wee bit.

One super annoying thing since I’m no hardware expert: I have two monitors, and this looks a lot darker and more contrasty on one of them. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Keep in mind that sensor size would also affect the field of view. a 35mm lens would equal to around 53mm when used on a crop sensor camera. So don’t be too fixed on the numbers. If it looks good and it delivers the message then go for it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the focal length also affects the depth of field, the longer it is, the shallower it is.

2 Likes

In my opinion, this render would benefit with a better lighting.

Your image right now is flat, the lighting is very even and the shadows are very minimal. As important light is to renders, shadows are also important. You could try Changing the hdri (if you’re using one) to a stronger one that casts sharper shadows on the ground and the model.

The light inside could also be stronger to show that what’s inside is important too. If you get what I mean. Like in those cartoons when someone opens a chest and it glows inside.

Again, Don’t be too fixed on making it as realistic or using accurate numbers, reality is often boring.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been struggling with the lighting on this one, i’m actually using a sun lamp here, i’m switching over to an HDRI now to see how that goes. All the precedent images these folks sent me are very low contrast, overcast scenes with virtually no cast shadows…

I’m banging my head too much on this…

2 Likes

you should at least put a layer of foam insulation on the outside if you’re gonna be banging your head on it. :smiley: coming soon: Nerf™ Saunas! :smiley:

have you tried doing the patio in the lighter color wood? or would that pull too much attention to it, and not the “hero” sauna? overall, i like it. :slight_smile:

Hey there yeah i did the lighter deck, was too much. I’m still tinkering stay tuned! That’s funny about the foam i’ll mention that to the people building it :wink:

1 Like

How about color correction? :slightly_smiling_face:

I enhanced the overall green color and enhanced the red color on the wood texture inside the cylinder.

1 Like

of the two, i prefer the 2nd. :slight_smile: though i wonder if downplaying the green in the 2nd (back to what the 1st one has it) would “pop” the sauna more?

1 Like

I think it’s almost there, it just needs to pop. As mentioned above, are you using Filmic color management?

I can see in other renders that you have sunlight against the grass and shadows from the trees etc, but there’s a lack of contrast. Look at the reference someone posted above, and see how much more vibrant everything is.

It did a tiny bit of rough editing in PS. Not saying it should look exactly like this, but just giving you a rough idea of what I mean by pop. This is just a tweak of brightness and contrast, and I also increased the greens and reds a little. I also added a vignette because reasons…

I also think that a night render in addition could be cool, seeing as you have the string lights and torches.

1 Like