Blender new Splash/welcome Screen UI

I just put down some ideas that came out thinking on the Blender Splash screen, just wanted to know what you guys think about if you also feel the actual one could be improved alot.

I would love to see automatic updates for example, maybe some integrated Package manager system like APT on linux, also like many software it would be useful to have a place to collect most representative learning resources, and so much more.

IMO, your buttons do not make sense for a splashscreen.
If people launch blender by mistake, they probably will close it by closing icon of window title, by habits. So, Exit button is not necessary.
When you launch Blender, you are lauching startup.blend that is same template used if you use File-New item or Ctrl N.
So a new file is already there ; you just have to click next to splashscreen to start.
So, it will only make sense if it provides a choïce between several templates.
Then, Open button could make sense but there is already a list to Open Recent Files and a standard shortcut Ctrl O.
So, it does not correspond to a must-have.
Finally, if you are at a state to use slave blender instance for a render; you probably master command line and are able to launch slaves as background task without a GUI that will consume memory.

I like the idea of tabs for credits. I am just afraid that it will not fit under splashscreen area.

The idea of check for updates make sense. But it cannot be automatic.
Developers and testers, sometimes, have to close and open blender several times during a short period to track or confirm bugs.
And some can be related to start-up.blend or preferences.
There should not be an unnecessary scan made ; each time, they do it.

Thanks for your reply

IMO, your buttons do not make sense for a splashscreen.

I think a splashscreen is useless a welcomescreen the contrary, the idea is to make less a splah eand more a welcome.

If people launch blender by mistake, they probably will close it by closing icon of window title, by habits. So, Exit button is not necessary.

I dont think that UI should just follow what user probably do, but mostly on a good balance of good design practice, logic, and pure usability. but I also do think it may not be essential.

When you launch Blender, you are lauching startup.blend that is same template used if you use File-New item or Ctrl N.
So a new file is already there ; you just have to click next to splashscreen to start.
So, it will only make sense if it provides a choïce between several templates.

The idea is to avoid loading a startup file before you know if the user wants a new file a recent file or whatever other option could be available. Definately the click after new file would be selecting a template, much like skethup.

Then, Open button could make sense but there is already a list to Open Recent Files and a standard shortcut Ctrl O.
So, it does not correspond to a must-have.

A list of recent file is NOT a substitute for OPEN ANY FILE, and shortcut are selexplanatory a Shortcut" another way of reaching a target can’t be the only option.

Finally, if you are at a state to use slave blender instance for a render; you probably master command line and are able to launch slaves as background task without a GUI that will consume memory.

This “probably” is not working, and again, command line being the only way to achieve something scares many users and is not the best way to handle things in a FULL GUI WORLD, the slave button anyway could just restart blender in console mode with on a minimalistic window if we really need to optimize perfomance.

I like the idea of tabs for credits. I am just afraid that it will not fit under splashscreen area.

The idea of check for updates make sense. But it cannot be automatic.
Developers and testers, sometimes, have to close and open blender several times during a short period to track or confirm bugs.
And some can be related to start-up.blend or preferences.
There should not be an unnecessary scan made ; each time, they do it.

I don’t agree with your " Can’t be automatic" the automatic update could simply be a script that checks if the there is a new release to download or a more complex system like Aptitude which handles specific packages and dependencies from repositories.

I agree with this. All we need is for a prompt letting users know that there is a newer version of Blender with the option to download and install if necessary. Should be straightforward enough imo. Just point it to the Blender build site and you are all set. if you downloaded Blender from another source then the prompt is disabled or should be by the packager.

LEARN TAB of the Welcome Screen

I kinda like this more than what we currently have, but I assume 2.8 will have overhaul over splash screen anyway…at least I remember reading something like that time ago.

Do you remember where you did read about that?
Thanks

Possibily this?

as long as i can still turn the darn thing off and all of its crap with it. i like blender because it starts up fast.

i think its quite common for people stick with a version of blender through a project, regardless whether an update is out. having an auto updater constantly yelling at you would be terrible.

If you look at the mockup the update button is unobtrusive and part of the splash screen. It wouldn’t require any addition time to move out of the way.

I think that it is a great mockup. Everything would, of course, need to be coded well and threaded properly to avoid additional startup time. but I like the idea. The only thing I might change is the recent files, I would prefer a larger box without the scroll bar.

Speed is essential I agree, advanced users don’t really need a “welcome screen” that’s why at the bottom right corner there is a checkbox:“open at startup”

well it would be nice if blender could startup as a renderslave, is it allready possible (requires also some master to give out nth frames of a rendering project)