Blender Newb Inquisition

How did you get my quote to appear in your reply?

Thanks for the tip, I’ll be checking this later today! :slight_smile:

Magic. :neutral_face:

Highlight the text, and you’ll see a little bubble that gives you the option to quote or share what you’ve highlighted. It’s the neatest thing.

1 Like

\

I just noticed something with this grid and distortion. After I shaped the grid as it appears in this image, I used the Edge Loop too to put the cross lines. When I select a face and pull it up (G), all the lines remain visible, but when I pull it down, the lines in the depression disappear. But @Renzatic in the example video you sent me, when you do this, pull your vertices down, all the connector lines stay visible. Is this significant in any meaningful way? I also noticed when I distort my mesh, I’m getting double line that appear, where before there was one line. I can upload a picture if it will help. In both your example and the original tutorial there were no double lines being created in this grid mesh as it is being distorted. Is this related to using proportional editing?
Thanks!

I’m not quite catching on to what you’re talking about. I might need a couple more shots to help me out.

If there’s one thing I really recommend you do, it’s watch a tutorial of someone making a quick model in Blender. Yeah, you have my road example, but I don’t a mic, so I wasn’t able to do provide a nice voiceover for what I was doing, and why.

This is a good start. He goes over the basic navigation keys, some shortcuts, and throughout the series, makes a little lowpoly house.

1 Like

This example is where a face is pulled down, the connection line dissapaer like they went below the surface. When a face is pulled up it looks like a flat mesh that has been pulled up, but when you pull it down it looks like it had gained some depth, the lines that connect the vertexes are no longer visible and the surface where I pulled it down looks flat, not like it has been pulled down. Remember this plain has been criss closed with vertices using that loop tool. I hate to ask this but what are the lines that connect to vertexes called? :neutral_face:

Looks like you’ve accidentally duplicated your mesh at some point. Check your outliner there on the top right. Is there an object called Plane.001 there?

If there is, delete it. If not, then select your mesh, go into edit mode, hover your mouse over the sunken bit, and hit the L key. If I’m right, it should select that bottom bit while leaving the top bit alone, and you can then delete the underlying mesh.

Also, the lines that connect your vertices are your edges.

1 Like

Now here is the first distortion attempt I did with proportional editing on. You can see the double lines it produced that I did not see in your @Renzatic example or in the original tutorial. Faces and vertices got pulled around, but they were always visible and no double lines appeared.

Yeah, I’m just about certain you’ve made a duplicate of your mesh at some point. How it’s duplicated is the only question here.

1 Like

Ok, at some other times in the Scene Collection list, I ended up with duplicate items, that I removed. In this case, there is a Plain, with a drop down menu. It’s got 2 things listed underneath it:
Plane:

• Animation- Plane Action
  • Plane.001

Now if I delete Plain.001 it all disappears. Also the original Plain I created and crisscrossed with the loop tool, it also says the same thing.

• Now this may go back to how I created this plain.
  • First I chose add plain, and I got a 2x2 square.
  • Well I wanted it to be 3x3. I looked over on the right in the mesh details for something that actually said how big this plain was. I ended up using the measure tool and measured it as 2mx2m.
  • In the Object Properties it says the size of this unit is Scale XYZ all say 1.0 and I knew that X and Y were 2 square meters . The first time I tried to hand scale this plain up to 3x3 meters, and that worked until I tried to duplicate and snap end to end, and discovered there was a lttle gap between them because I had done it by hand.
  • Now I have no idea why a plain with a scale of 1= 2m, but when I changed the scale for X & Y to 1.5, the 2x2m square became 3x3. Problem solved, yes? Maybe not.
  • Well now I’m not so sure. In the scene collection when I start this Plain creation over, before I change the scale fringe 1 to 1,5, under Plain, it just says Plain.
  • Quick question: On a flat plain, if I change the scale of the Z (thickness) to 1.5, does that actually change anything, or should I be sure to keep it at 1.0
  • So I would ask, if I want my plain to be 3x3 instead of 2x2, the best way to do this precisely? I’ll assume it’s not by hand, but by scaling until I get 1.5 on the XYZ (or just XY) and this will make the plain 3x3, but it will not longer align with the grid below it.
  • Also at this point I have no idea where in the later version of the bent plain, I have created, in the category of plain, with a drop down menu in Scene Collection, it lists a plain.001 there.
    Maybe I have to start over, take care and try this all again, and keep an eye on the Scene Collection info.
    Is your head spinning yet? :slight_smile:

I think this is a good idea, I do plan on watching something like this, I want to watch something like this, but right now I’m up to my eyeballs in UE tutorials. So my immediate goal is to try to knock out this mesh, before jumping back into UE for the rest of the project I am currently focused on. I’ll understand if you get fatigued fielding a lot of questions. I actually think I’m pretty close with this mesh… (famous last words :D)

I’l throw in one more question If you have created a plain that is 3x3m and it does not align with alignment grid below it, is there a. command to make it snap to the alignment grid?
I tried Shift S and selected Select to Grid, but that has not yet worked. Since the edge of the 3x3 plain is offset from the alignment grid, if I use snap, it just snaps and maintains it’s offset. There must be a command to make it forget the offset and snap to the alignment grid.

Yeah, it makes me realize that there’s tons of stuff I take for granted that’s hard as hell to explain to a newbie. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now here’s the big question, when you’re comparing sizes, are you doing so in object mode, or edit mode? Read what RSEhlers said above concerning that.

I’d say more, but I’m really pressed for time at the moment. I’ll get to the rest tomorrow sometime.

Take your time with it. Once you get used to the ebb and flow of things, you’ll see it’s not as hard as you initially thought. But there are a LOT of bits and pieces you have to come terms with, and that, moreso than anything, will take you a minute to wrap your head around.

1 Like

@Renzatic
@RSEhlers
…and the other 2 that the board won’t let me mention as a new member (max 2) :thinking:

Between the thousand questions I asked, I had time to finish this project at least the Blender part of it. In Blender it wa a plain, shaped mesh to be used in a UE nature scene, as a road bed through the woods, that I am emulating as a learning exercisel.

Special thanks to Ren who I’ve been bugging for a couple of weeks now about graphic programs in general and mostly UE talk which I am getting up to speed with. He seemingly answered questions with 10 minutes, but today I could tell I was becoming a strain. That won’t happen again until the next project. :wink:

I anticipate more Blender action will be in my future, and I’ll be doing that Complete Blender Tutorial for Novices linked in this thread.

The biggest complication in my current project, that Ren spotted, I had somehow duplicated my main mesh, so when I went to deform it, I was getting funky results. How the duplicating happened, the primary way was that I was creating copies of the mesh to see how it tiled when butted end to end, and then I did not completely get rid of the extras. I know from now on in Blender to keep in eye on the Scene Collection for rogue pieces.

I’ll be gone all next week, but will have my lap top with me so you may hear from me time to time.

Thanks much! :heart:

Finished mesh…

1 Like