Blender not working well on Surface Pro 7

This issue has nothing to do with pen, mouse, spacemouse or touchscreen. It’s not about the input device - it’s a graphics issue.

Today I managed to make Blender work flawlessly on the Surface Pro 7 three times. Though, I am unsure how to replicate it. I tried to find the solution but I cant seem to reproduce it consistently.
Though, I am glad to know that Blender can work nicely on Surface Pro 7.

I tried lots of things, almost always related to the viewport and shading. For instance; I changed around the viewport shadings a lot, changed to workbench, turned off ambient occlusion, changed to Eevee, and then it worked.

It almost seems random, and the things I did before resolving the problem was different each time, but there was always one thing in common: Me changing to Eevee, and somehow forcing a “Shaders Compilation”.

I haven’t used Blender on my SP7 i5 8GB model yet. But I did notice that its IRIS GPU is too new for software like Autodesk Sketchbook. When it’s first launch, pixel registration is off on the right side of screen. But minimize and maximum the program solves the issue until exiting the program. Other drawing programs have no issue with SP7.

1 Like

I was looking to buy a SP7 to use Blender but this topic made me step back. It is quite the investment so I am happy to have found this topic - thank you guys.

Any updates regarding this @mzone3d and others that mentioned the problems? Thank you :slight_smile:

EDITED:
Keeping track of reports about this issue:

In the latest 2.83 alpha build this issue has been fixed it seems! :grin:
Resizing the 3D viewport still causes some lag, but other than that it works super well now!

2 Likes

That’s great news

1 Like

Oh, some updates regarding the fix: Today (11th) they pushed an update reverting the changes. They said it was because they experienced crashes with that build. If you want the build that runs smoothly on Surface Pro 7 you should use the one from 10th (which is the one I tried I think), not the one from today (11th) and onwards.
Hopefully, the changes make it in again soon! I am happy they are working hard to fix this issue :grin:

1 Like

This is the best news I’ve read since buying my Surface a few weeks ago. I haven’t been to the Blender site in a while; is there a way to still access the April 10th version?

1 Like

There might be somewhere to download older builds, but I don’t seem to find it.
If you private message me with your email or something I could probably send you the build in a zipfile! :blush:

The new 2.90 alpha seems to be working smoothly as of 17.04!
. https://builder.blender.org/download/

2 Likes

@rakurri 2.90 works perfectly! Thanks

1 Like

I have just bought surface book 3, i was super satisfied until i realized i have this same problem with blender, its working really bad. So i have still time to return it but, wanted to ask here first, was the problem resolved? or is there any hope here, because i really like the surface book 3 and would wish to solve this problem and keep it. your advice would be appreciated. thanks