Blender on Ubuntu 18.4

Hi there, anyone has already tried Blender on Ubuntu 18.4? Every time I install updates on my 16.4 ubuntu version it proposes to upgrade to the 18.4 version, but I fear there will be a lot of compatibility and technical problems ? What do you think guys ? Is it worth it to upgrade ?
Thanks

Hi.
You can surely disable from somewhere that message in which it is recommended to upgrade if it is annoying for you. But it is recommended that you stay updated to the latest LTS version, which is 18.04 (you do not upgrade to 18.10 after upgrading to 18.04).
A system upgrade is generally safe, but something could fail, you backup your important data on another disk or different partition to the installation of Ubuntu. You can always enter from a Live DVD/USB to recover data anyway.

1 Like

Thank you very much.
No it’s not annoying, I felt it could be risky. Of course staying updated is the recommended option, until it causes problems when we are not specialized enough to deal with them.
Have a nice time :smile:

Using 18.04 here. Zero problems. I don’t know if you’re the using Blender provided via Apt. I don’t.
Just be aware, that you need proprietary drivers for your GPU.

1 Like

Everything works OK, 2.79R, 2.79 master, 2.8 daily - i had no issues with any of mentioned

1 Like

It’s ok in my case as well. Tried already Ubuntu and a couple of its derivatives - there’s no difference, both 2.79 and 2.8 work as expected.

1 Like

Thanks for everyone for your answers. I will switch to this version soon :+1: