Blender - open source = problem?

what can I expect from this persons thread??? 1 post, anti Blender propaganda me thinks.

what can I expect from this persons thread??? 1 post, anti Blender propaganda me thinks.

nah… I’m guessing it’s an insecure user trying to calm down or trying to make some irrelevant point or just interact. Would be too stupid to make bad propaganda and mention Tomato in the same post.

LetterRip,not sure a short release cycles is better than longer(with graphicall.org users have daily build so I don’t think the testing and bug fixing would be minor).
The difference is that,with a longer time,you can clearly say(as a developer) “use it at your own risk”,and “wait for the official new version”,with a release every 2 months when you can say that?(going to a new release it happens often that things are broken, or not completed,Blender is incrementally developed,you need to wait sometime years(so several official releases) to have a tool really solid(think about particles,sculpting,fluid,cycles),for me it’s more honest and better from a communication point of view to not create too much expectation.

That’s why Blender got major and minor releases. The developer can just say “use 2.5x”.

the best means for your company is to change builds once a year…this means re-writing your scripts/addons per a year…
u got to remember that alot of features have been introduced including a new modelling engine… i predict this introduction of features will slow before it goes into another peak of devlopment…in this case use this time to use the latest blender with the latest version of that script…

im afraid otherwise that this will always be the case

it isn’t the new features, so much as a ‘coreness’ of the features. Over a fairly short time frame we have switched to a new UI engine, a new mesh core, and a new rendering core. Those are the three biggest areas which all required drastic API revision. Also those are the areas most likely to have scripts written against. There really aren’t that many disruptive changes that could likely happen in the future after the changes from the above settle down. We will see particle and simulation core changes (depsgraph), but those aren’t likely to be very disruptive.

I have to agree, even though i probably have less experience than you…

LetterRip,this is absolutely true,the transition between 2.4 and 2.5 has been really a complex thing and it’s great that it’s done,but since the 2.5x I have the feeling that when something is refactored/recoded,not always the goal is to be at least at the previous level of functionality,practically at the end you have more and less at the same time(only in the long run you start to see the advantages,and this is why I think a longer release cycles is better).
Anyway,I really hope that I’m wrong about this.

I’m sorry for long no-answering.

JustinBarrett what can I expect from this persons thread??? 1 post, anti Blender propaganda me thinks.

No, abosultely NO! I use a lot open source, and I love open source. Of course I use commercial software to, low-end (up to $200-300). Topic wasn’t ‘what Blender can or cannot do’ or ‘is this good, is Blender open source’. Problem for me is explanation from PFHoe. We don’t support Blender BECAUSE this is open source. This is problem for me.
Today Blender, tommorow Libre Office etc.
I’m Blender newbie, yes, so what I can write? So I have only one post. And of course learning Blender is difficult for me - nearly each version is different, tutorial are always “not for THIS version”, no up-to-date manual. But I can use it free for my hobby. It is a great work of developers and community. Thank you.
But message from PFHoe is dangerous in my opinion. And this is reason why I wrote this post.

It is very good that you address such concerns.
As you see the Blender community is very active and has a clear opinion in such manners :slight_smile:

For me I’d say avoid any program that behaves controlling and dictating and are very selective in what they are “open” to support.
For me the decision to such programs would be easy: inform them about what you feel about such a decision and inform them that that is why you leave their program and hope to be able to come back when there is a better support / solutions, but that not supporting Open Source is a deal breaker.

But that is me,… resulting in a 100% Open Source solutions only workflow. :smiley:

I’m affraid - my opinion is for PFHoe nothing. I’m only dissatisfied user to poor to buy PFTrack. Just tracking-kiddie. This is abandon software for me (bu still selling! And not supportedd in fact!). One more, one less… But of course, I do it.

And at last - I did it… http://www.pfhoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=751&p=1980#p1980

Letś hope it does make a change for the better and a better future lays ahead. :slight_smile: