Blender opens a console like window, Windows

Running Blender 3.2.1 under Windows 11 Home.
Lately Blender opens not only the graphics working display window, but also a console like window, independently.

Closing this window closes Blender.
Can I get rid of it? it clutters my taskbar and seems unnecessary.

1 Like

There are two executables in the blender folder. A blender.exe and a blender-launcher.exe. The latter is able to keep the terminal closed completely. But normally it should also just appear at startup when using blender.exe instead. Perhaps you have a -con command line argument in your shortcut.

I think it always used to appear at startup and then would close itself down.
The difference lately is that it remains open.
Not sure what has changed in between.

Well I have Windows10 running here, not 11. But I just downloaded 3.2.1 testwise and I cant confirm its behaving like that here. What happens if you use the launcher instead? And does it close if you use Window-> Toggle System Console in blender?

1 Like

The same thing happens to meā€¦ console remains open when I launch Blender. Pretty sure Iā€™m only running Blender.exe.
Windows 11
Blender 3.3.0

Iā€™m using 3.2 but you should be able to toggle it off in the view menu.

@csimeon @Safetyman

Seems like Windows Terminal is behaving slightly different in Windows 11 than the console under Windows 10.
As I said I cant test it here, but there is a ā€œProfile Termination Behaviourā€ in the Windows Terminal settings, that is adjustable under which conditions it should stay open. Iā€™d check if changing that helps.

2 Likes

Canā€™t find that under settings, however I did find a way to hide the terminal in the notification area (instead of it occupying space on the taskbar): pulldown menu ā€˜Settingsā€™ > Appearance tab> switch ā€œHide Terminalā€¦ā€ to active (was inactive)

Well, from what Iā€™ve read, it should be found under the advanced settings of the command prompt profile. Anyway if the setting you mentioned does what you were looking for, its also fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I turned that setting on, but I still have to switch to the console and minimize it manually to hide it.

Hmmm I dunno my friend. I do know the taskbar for Windows 11 is a half-job, minimal functionality. I switched to a custom taskbar from the very beginning, it works with that, maybe not with the original?

StartAllBack offers a fully customizable taskbar and other UI improvements to Windows 11

1 Like

Everything @Debuk has said worked, starting with the setting directly under Blender, from the Window menu. Also the setting that I mentioned is good, if you want it minimized away from the taskbar, in the notifications area, at least it works with the StarAllBack Windows UI addon, I have installed over Windows 11.

1 Like

True, but before when I would minimize it (yes manually), it would stay on the taskbar, now it goes to the notifications tray.

Hello, I know the topic is closed, but I had exact same issue after fresh install of Windows 11 and Blender via Steam. I got rid off the Terminal window by right click on a blender file ā†’ open with ā†’ locate your blender folder ( in Steam its under SteamApp- common ) ā†’ always open with Blender-Launcher . Before I did exact same steps but I chose "open with " Blender.exe, which gave me always a Terminal window

1 Like

Thanks bro <3

in teminal tab , settings ā†’ appearance ā†’ hide terminal in the notification area when it is minimized(switch tht on) ā†’ save