Blender randomly crashing on Render

Having issues with Blender randomly crashing while trying to render, and can’t figure out why.

The crash always seems to occur right before the scene building phase - never during it nor during the actual rendering phase, and it seems to be completely random from what i can tell. (For example I’ll hit render and it’ll crash, re-open and try again, crash, then it’ll just work the third time. Or it’ll work right away and crash on the second frame, or it’ll render 5 frames just fine then crash on the sixth, etc.).

There are no error messages or anything, Blender just closes - so I’ve no idea where to even start. I’ve also tried completely reinstalling my graphics drivers to no avail. I’m rendering with OptiX, but have tried switching to the standard CUDA render (both experimental and supported) and it still happens.

So yeah…any ideas at all would be appreciated~

Some technical details;
Blender 2.90.1 - Cycles render
EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra / Studio Driver 456.71
16 GB RAM (scene uses 1.45 GB RAM, 2 GB VRAM)

I found this in the crash log, if it helps;

# backtrace
Exception Record:

ExceptionCode         : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Exception Address     : 0x00007FF699B6BD5A
Exception Module      : blender.exe
Exception Flags       : 0x00000000
Exception Parameters  : 0x2
	Parameters[0] : 0x0000000000000000
	Parameters[1] : 0x00000144CF49EE0C

Hi. Crash are always reportable. You download 2.91.0 (beta) here:

and test if the problem still persists. If the problem still persists, you open a new bug report. In addition to sharing that crash log with developers, you should share a .blend file where the problem can be reproduced.