Blender rotation limit bug?

Hi. i’m trying to make lamp dimmer object. i provided the video below :

Using, transform lock, and rotation limit, but why when it reach 180 degrees, it turned back to off position? I thought it would stop at ON, which is 180 degree limit.

I can confirm this behavior in

Maybe you should send a bug report.

Is it Gimbal Lock? In the side panel settings change from XYZ Euler to Quaternion.
Or perhaps in the modifier change the Order setting to ZXY Euler.
Why do either of these ? Quaternion stops Gimbal Lock by using different math. ZXY Euler changes the order the Axe’s Math is done. Which is also to stop hitting Gimbal lock. Not sure ZXY it the correct choice… Try others.
Look at this… Scroll down to the Robotics section

‘Wrist flip’ seems an apt description of your issue.

1 Like

The constraint does not take into account quaternions, anyways.
It is useless for any limit above equal or above 180°.

You will have a less problematic experience by creating a custom property with limits (in radians) to drive rotation on Z axis.

1 Like

The problem persists with different axis orders and also occurs for limits less than 180°, if you try to rotate the object far enough.

Now what I think is happening, (without having looked at the code), is that the input rotation is wrapped to the interval [-180°,180) before being fed into the constraint. This means that as soon as you try to rotate the object by 180° or more, the value is interpreted as somewhere between -180° and 0° and then limited to 0°.

1 Like