Blender runs slowly when using background image

When I use background images, blender runs very slowly.
How can I fix this?

Do you have an ATI graphics card? If so then putting that image on a Plane in the background works better.

%<

No, I have a silly, little onboard graphics card from intel.

Try to UVmap your image on a plane anyway : it worked for me before with an older card.
In case you are wondering how to do it there’s an old tutorial I can fetch.

Jean

Try to UVmap your image on a plane anyway : it worked for me before with an older card.

Jean[/quote]

Thanks, blender isn’t running slow anymore now.
But when I’m editing my model and I press Z so that the model is transparant, the texture disapears. How do I fix that?

Jean[/quote]

Thanks, blender isn’t running slow anymore now.
But when I’m editing my model and I press Z so that the model is transparant, the texture disapears. How do I fix that?[/quote]

In the Object context, Object buttons, Draw panel change the draw type for your object and stay in potatoe mode (alt_Z) to be able to see your texture.

That should work.
Also, you can change the color of the wire in the Preferences, themes, 3D view, wire.

Jean

I don’t really understand what you mean.
I’m not really a blender head you nkow :frowning:

Translated: Press Alt+Z to view the textures :wink:

From Daniel

ok… And what do I have to change in the draw panel?
The texture still disapears whe I press Z

Not really.

You want the object you are modelling to remain in wire so you can see the texture through it, right ? Then select it, go into the Object context of the button window (shortcut F5). There there will be two little sub-context button on the header, to the right of the main context burttons. One is named Object (wait for the tooltip to pop up) and the other Physics : click LMB (that’s Left Mouse Button, guess what MMB and RMB are ? All Blender lingo, there isn’t much of it) on the Object subcontext. There will be a panel named Draw and inside a group of buttons named Drawtype : if you check the button named ‘Wire’, the Object you are modelling will be drawn in wire, even in OpenGL view (aka textured view, aka potatoe view)

OK ?
Sorry for not being detailed enough.
Jean

Thanks, thats what I need

Thats ok, I guess I just still have to learn alot about blender. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Fenryal”]
Thanks, thats what I need

Thats ok, I guess I just still have to learn alot about blender. :)[/quote]

I know : with a full time job unrelated to CG all I can do is learning the damn thing until They-Who-We-Shall-Not-Say-The-Name decide that it the time for bigger and better Blender has come : then it is back to learning for me.

Still a lot of fun.

Jean