Blender Sculpt Mask Improvements

It would be great the “poly group” feature in sculpting, is very handy for many things.
Thanks for your work so far ikee!

Nice thread! Looking forward to the patches :slight_smile:

Nice work ikee. It would be extremely useful to be able to quickly save and load masks made during sculpting.

Let me just chime in and say this looks awesome - great work! :slight_smile:

Looks awesome already. The ability to enable/disable creating geometry under dyntopo for mask would be cool to have as well.

There are some minor issues with the matcap code atm but no show stoppers. The issue with it atm is when sculpting isn’t enabled should be fixable.

ATM smooth shading is forced when using multires. Dynatop and normal sculpting both support flat and smooth.
There is probably going to be another toggle for ‘Fast Drawing’ which forces smooth on mulktires but still enables people to see the mesh without smooth shading.

Amazing work! I can’t wait to try it out! Thanks!

Wow, that is really cool that you’ve come this far :smiley:

Had some fun today with some glsl shaders http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qo5O1k9wkk&feature=youtu.be . Problem is it requires post processing and I don’t know if that’ll be easy to implement. This is using a standalone shading editor.

You make some really cool stuff. I always get a little envious of you guys that just bang stuff like that out for fun.

While you’re at it, could you add an operator to convert a mask to a vertex group? Or expose the mask data to python? I wanted to do some fun things for sculpting in python, but hit a brick wall there.

don’t how I missed,work is looking great and will be very useful!

Cool tools! It’ll be very handy when I’ll step onto this stage in my sculpting progress! :slight_smile:
Is it planned to make Box mask and Lasso mask symmetry-able like Brush mask works?

I’m working on Box symmetry these days, it’s not too difficult. Lasso presents some theoretical difficulties for me but I expect it should be doable. I stumbled upon this thread again and I had completely forgotten that there was a patch already for these. It would have saved quite a lot of duplicate effort. Maybe the coder here can give the patch that does the better matcap drawing at least?

I have a reasonable question though.
Masking in sculpt mode is basically for fast artistic purposes, a kind of posing.
Braking symmetry! And it is a first step to more friendly posing tools (this another discussion on an already existing workaround)
Why we need symmetry when masking? Occasionally only.
I can understand it, from a unification of painting - sculpting tools perspective.
Please, don’t misunderstand me. These tools are related to specific (or possible) workarounds.
A presentations of such workflows makes it easier to understand, it also may become an inspiration to some.

The OP hasn’t updated or posted in 5 months, his last activity on his profile shows june.

I think thats pretty telling that he either lost interest, or got a job elsewhere and is really busy.

This will be a good addition, thank you!
Yeah, matcaps are useless with a high polycount on Dyntopo as it becomes about twice slower. I hope it will be changed. Probably… it can be supported with options to temporary switch it off when you sculpt. Usually I need matcaps only to check geometry after I’ve sculpted something.

I am a bit confused by this. Love your sculpts but are you suggesting symmetrical box masking or masking is rarely used or not important?

I would like to verify before jumping to any conclusions because I know there can be a language gap sometimes.

That said, regarding this kind of workflow in general, to all, it is used quite a bit from my ZBrush experience and from those professionals who rely on zbrush I am acquainted with. To get some of the best details, such as belts, things people wear or hard surface objects, masking plays a huge role. Masking in general is needed to get some of the best detail out of a sculpt, same with alpha masks. Of course, this is made far more evident when there are additional tools to make use of it, such as universal inflate or what not. When tools, sliders or other modifiers can be based around masking, the workflow shines.

Of course we could just exit sculpt mode, try to select the same surface info, and go off that, but thats not really ideal in a sculpting environment in my opinion.

@SaintHaven
Blender is not zbrush. Most importantly, it is not a freeware zbrush alternative.
Blender sculpting precesses are facing more serious issues,
Devs should fix the multires modifier first, then we’re talking about masking, posing etc.
(Try to mask on lower subdivision levels and see what will happen. even if you discard the masking (alt+M) go to the denser subd level and some areas are still masked. Move/rotate some masked parts, forget to apply base and you have a badly damaged mesh, oops- undos won’t help you, you lost your work)
Posing when sculpting in dyntopo mode ! This is what works now. Masking (in this case) is for artistic-sculpting purposes, not for characters. Supposing that the kind of symmetrical masking you’re talking about, gonna take place after retopology/shrinkwrapping/multires.

Thank you for all the information about zbrush workflows. It is my basic sculpting app, my favorite artistic forum, years now. I’m not blind nor stupid. I mean, let’s stop asking for a B-transpose tool. It won’t work on this multires.

it would be great to have an easy way to increase or reduce the falloff of the mask (like zbrush can)