Blender Selection Border

Simplify UV unwrapping on high poly meshes and dirty geometry in Blender 2.8x

Allow you to select all edges bordering a selection of faces. The edges can be marked as seams, the selection hidden…

2 Likes

This is pretty interesting, could you have options to select by a angle degree or for Boolean operation areas - more specific to hard surface? Could see this being developed into a smart seam picker/id marker.

Just some ideas, thank you

Hi !

Thank you for the feedback.
Select by angle is a good idea (even if I am not sure how to make it yet).

But I will try !

2 Likes

Hello,
I start working on it but I think this operator already exists.
Are you searching for something like Select > Select Similar > Face Angles ?

Right on, there is a few addons that work with this angle operator I’ve seen. Your tool could be more used more specific for isolation in high density areas, if there was a way to identify based on limitations set (angle, marked, unmarked, sharp, soft, vert, face, edge, specific object? whatever really). There is only a select few isolation tools that work well, so tapping into this I see potential :smiley:

Something to think on, once you have a selection the ability to access a attached or near based on a smart perimeters(angle, vert, edge, etc) quickly by scrolling your mouse wheel or similar?

At any rate, neat addon. Thanks!

Hi Dread,
Get some time to work on this addon.
I can now mark as seam edges between a min and max angle.
Result is pretty ugly for now. Have you something more precise in mind ? Maybe a tool to mimic ?

thanks again for your advices.

The mark looks like a great addition and useful. I really like the min/max, that should have more options to make full use of it. Ideally some of the toughest issues for marking seams is identifying booleans and modifiers. Additionally people use a few different addons to make the booleans or kitbash parts together, non destructive and destructively. I think your on the right path to creating a nice selection tool, maybe even expanding the toolset for missing UV functions.

Ideas
-different methods of selecting the angle, paint over certain area - identify that angle
-selection by modifier, applying mark, cut to attached area, toggle selection view

Thanks for the reply.

Hello,

The operator already works on a selection.
If you want to try it, the link is here : angle_edge_selection.py (3.9 KB)

It’s a new operator, you have to install it like any other addon (works “fine” in 2.83)

The seams are just here to mark the model for now. For now I am not really fond of this selection method.
Maybe, I should only reduce the selection and only mark the border as before.
Creating seams with grease pencil can also be a fun work.

All advises are good, for now it’s foggy as hell…

thx !

1 Like

In some progams if you select an object from right to left with the selection border, it will only select what is entirely within the border. Does this addon do this? For example, if you have a floor and roof object and you go from right to left with the selection border around say for example a chair, will it only select the chair. If not, can you implement it? Thanks.

Not sure if you were aware, but blender can already select the border edges of a face selection with the ‘select boundary loops’ operator.

Hello,
Yes I was aware but I found it after starting the addon. Mine is maybe more specific.
It is a good starting point to learn Blender API.

I am sorry bkjernisted I don’t understand what you need. My addon works only on the mesh (1 object).
Maybe another addon to work on ?