Blender shortcut keys in Krita/Gimp

Hey guys, does anyone like the idea of having familiar controls in Krita as in Blender? Granted there are several tools that are not found in Blender, which would probably just have the same keys.

The biggest thing for me is going from Blender to Krita, I find myself constantly rotating the canvas by mistake when I meant to pan the view.

I can’t see any blender related shortcuts for either software, is this something that people would be interested in if I got around to it?

Side note; has anyone ever considered how many things in Blender allow you to photo manipulate? I’ve half a mind to make BLENDSHOP.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

2 Likes

Wanna hear even more crazy thing? Imagine GIMP with Blender UI.

1 Like

Would instantly make it better… They really don’t take UI as seriously as the Blender team. Straight up fact.

Man, I could write 20 page long rant about GIMP… But I don’t want to hijack your thread.

If in the future Blender develops mid-tier 2D workflow/tools and custom ICC profile management I’m abandoning not only Photoshop but GIMP and Krita also.

1 Like

Do you know that with Quick Edit you can drastically reduce the painting time outside of blender.
QuickEdit

1 Like

Oh cool, it never occurred to me. I’ll have to check that one out. I’ve avoided Blender’s paint mode because last time I used it in 2.81, I was getting artifacts from the brush projection issues. Is that better now?

@silex

Please feel free to link any interesting discussions though. People can always choose to branch off on their own will :slight_smile:

It’s funny, I can get by almost exclusively without Krita or Photoshop. Concepting is very good in Blender because of grease pencil and sculpting.

Even in terms of working with the game engine side of things, I found that even prototyping shaders in Blender is better, because most programmers have used Blender at least once. If the stalk delivered babies, developers would come with a blender installation on usb. We skipped the part where I had to optimize it in unity’s 2018 shader node editor, which takes time. Instead I let the programmer take care of translating from the blender shader STRAIGHT into Unity’s C# code. Done. I get to stay away even more, from Unity’s Maya-centric navigation! Instead I get to stay once more in the zone.

It might be a different story for Unreal given how artists can make use of it, but Unity MOSTLY about programmers. It’s getting better, but it’s not Blender or Unreal’s level of artist control. You realize that when you attempt to google artist friendly solutions in forum posts.

And of course UPBGE is still being actively developed upon, even more so than armory I believe.

So I really can work almost exclusively inside Blender, except for when I need to think in compositing layers and need my onscreen widgets that are so often denied by the VSE and compositor views of the output. I’ve heard that some of those things are being worked on, including the VSE transform addon which may need more optimization. Simply creating a transform preview and applying the transform in VSE upon dropping the tool would be thinking like Krita. Even still, things like this bring us closer to having that nice 2D workflow in Blender.

1 Like

I usually use 2-3 projections with Quick Edit mainly to quickly apply G’MIC filters and the interpolation in between is done with the Clone Brush in Blender. So there is no need for better shortcuts in Gimp. But that’s up to your workflow, of course. I’m pretty sure that this feature (like many others) will be completely overlooked.

1 Like