Blender stops responding when opening File viewer

Hi

I’ve recently been having an issue where, every time I open the file viewer in Blender, it will just stop responding once I try to use it
I’ve tried

• downgrading blender
  • updating to the alpha
  • updating my drivers (CPU and GPU)
  • reinstalling blender
  • testing it on an empty scene
    Currently running on Windows 10, Ryzen 7 3700X, and a Radeon RX 5700 XT

Is this in all folders?

Is there a particularly large or problematic file in the folder you are attempting to preview?

Does your cpu or ram usage change while it is unresponsive?

It happens in even small folders with only a handful of images/blend files.

CPU and RAM usage doesn’t change

Do you have network drives?

2 Likes

I have one drive, would I need to do something with that to fix it?

That could be one of the reasons that drives the issue. Blender becomes unresponsive if it can’t access the network drives fast enough for some reason. I actually do not have a solution, beside disconnecting them.

2 Likes

I’ve also had this issue

How would I go about disabling them? I’ve tried going offline and it didn’t work.

Another thing to check (to take care of low-hanging fruit):

1. Open Blender’s default scene
  2. Change the 3D Viewport to a File Browser and see if you can browse your file system from there

If that works without crashing then the problem might be spawning that separate Blender window for the File Browser. I’ve seen this in the past on older hardware. The solution, if this turns out to be the case for you, is to go to the Interface section in Preferences and, in the Temporary Editors subpanel, change File Browser from New Window to Maximized Area.

2 Likes

Tried this, It showed me one folder just fine but the moment I try to click into another smaller folder it breaks.

Should I try to upgrade to windows 11?

Which version(s) of Blender are you doing this in?

Also, do the files open if you double-click them from Windows Explorer?