Blender used by only students? Poll...

I’m a hard working man and I need money! But I don’t use Blender… neither am I using any other 3D package as my work takes place in a completly different area.

currently the only 3d package i can use is Blender - all the 3d work i do is produced with it. I’m still learning (but getting paid to produce work with Blender, amongst other packages), so does that make me a pro?

I have some Maya training on the horizon - hopefully I’ll be able to make good use of it as Blender has been my “so can i do this with 3d?” package. As i posted in a previous thread (no links, that’s how I roll) Blender is fine if you’ve no deadlines and/or all the experience in the world. With “official” training, workflow tips and proven software, I can say to a client “yes that will be 10 hours work” or “no, but we could do it like this…”

plus of course Maya has the obligatory, tested, slightly more user-friendly ui when it comes to particles, materials, GI and volumetrics.

I wonder if there are many pros that rely SOLELY on Blender for their entire workflow?

I recently started studying Computer Sciences out of interest and i am working soley with blender at a online platforms company at the moment developing browser games.

And i don´t care what software i have to use. You´ve adapt to your company or your contractor anyway. Basically it “just” involves learning a new UI. And if i can choose the tool I use the one getting the job done best… no zBrush for low poly game models and no blender for complex particle stuff and no 3dsmax for sculpting. ^^ But mostly you are bound to your contractor again, because they supply you with a working license for the software.

Well I’m neither a student nor use Blender for making money. I just like it.

Im a Uni student, working part time.
Even if i had the money for maya or max i wouldnt buy them. I have tryed them before, Blender is the way to go. :wink:

My favorite part about using Blender commercially is being able to hand out the program itself along with finished renders and converted models. Being able to do that can give a very good impression when working with 2d artists and programmers who dont have a 3d program of their own, and certainly comes off as more professional than giving them a torrent for 3DS Max so that they can play around with the model they just bought.

always learning

Well I’m a freelace graphic designer/3d animator etc… I use blender for the GE and scuplt… so there is no option for me… if I do stills I will use 3ds max or maya with mental ray.