Blender/Youtube money making question?

This probably sounds like a dumb question but I just wanna get it out there,
so that I won’t get in any legal troubles in the future.

Okay, I’m creating a youtube channel where I’ll be uploading my animations
that I have created using Blender. Since, I made these animations using
BLENDER, can I put adds on my videos to make money off youtube?
Even though the animations were created using Blender? Or do I have
to get a license from the Blender studio to allow me to make money off my animations?
These animations will be created by me only.

Sounds like a dumb question,
but I just really wanna make sure.

Theodore

Ummm. blender is under the creative commons act, so yeah. you can do that.

http://www.blender.org/education-help/faq/gpl-for-artists/

Can I sell my Blender creations?

Anything you create with Blender - whether it’s graphics, movies, scripts, exported 3d files or the .blend files themselves - is your sole property, and can be licensed or sold under any conditions you prefer

This is incorrect; Blender is licensed under the GPL (GNU General Public License), which is quite separate from CC.

Ummm. blender is under the creative commons act, so yeah. you can do that.
There is no such thing as a “creative commons act” and while there are many things related to blender that have been licensed as Creative Commons, the program blender is subject to the terms of the General Public License (version 2) which does not pose any restrictions on the output blender creates.

Thank YOU so much.

Can I sell my Blender creations?

Anything you create with Blender - whether it’s graphics, movies, scripts, exported 3d files or the .blend files themselves - is your sole property, and can be licensed or sold under any conditions you prefer.

YEPEEEEEEEEEE

but before you can offer your content, you must sign a 10000 word letter in blood (yours), and offer your first new born son to the goddess Suzanne the heavenly chimp (all hails to her)…read the 1000 pages of Terms of Service, and do the Love Lobster dance twice.

Seriously,you can use any blender output, as said before but watch out and don´t include in your renders or .blends copyrighted textures, backgrounds or characters obviously…

Licenses are, in fact, required. Luckily I happen to have some spare ones I can sell you at an extreme discount. Please act quickly as they wont last very long.

Well licenses are required, in a perfect world we may not need to, but yes you do need licenses.
To protect yourself and others from the crooked copyright and patent laws.

That is why Blender uses one of the best licenses of all: GPL. :smiley:
To give and protect our freedom, also in the future! :wink:

And to be redundant and answer to initial question as well:
Of course you can sell your content, it is YOUR content, so what ever you choose to do with it is up to you. (And due to the GPL license, you even can sell Blender as well, as long as you meet the demands of the GPL license Blender falls under.)
But when you start spreading your content over the web, you want to consider what the effects are for your position doing so. :wink:

This is incorrect; Blender is licensed under the GPL (GNU General Public License), which is quite separate from CC
Grumble Grumble. GNU, creative commons… same thing. cc is for art, gnu is for programs (I believe). Regardless, you can do it. Many assets are sold on model sites that were made using blender. In fact, someone (technically legally) rebranded blender and tried to sell it. Didn’t get to far.

There is no such thing as a “creative commons act”

It is a license that was enabled in an act (of sorts). Although i see your point.

It is not the same thing. Two different licences for different purposes.

Just to be clear: Blender as a software is licenced under GPL. Everything you create from blender .blend files, renderings etc. are your own property.

more information about licencing can be found here
http://www.blender.org/education-help/faq/gpl-for-artists/