Blender2.68a trouble

Hi I just downloaded Blender 2.68a
It loads up I got the screen I can scroll away the intro and delete the default cube.
so far all works until I start using the buttons example:Material,File ext…The material opens,but any further down like hitting the “+” causes it to crash. many other buttons also causes crash so it is very touchy.
I’m am not sure what causes this but blender is useless this way.
I would return to an older version but i cant seem to get those to function either.
On the download site for Blender it has 2.66 ext… but the download tool still says 2.68a so this won’t work for me.
so I’m searching for a new approach to downloading Blender.
I am using python 2.7
Thanks for any helpful tips !
I’m also using a older computer(2005) running windows XP

On the download site for Blender it has 2.66 ext… but the download tool still says 2.68a so this won’t work for me.
so I’m searching for a new approach to downloading Blender.
I don’t understand this. What download tool ? What do you mean by a ‘new approach’. Can’t you just download and unzip/install ?

Blenders official download sight has one way to download Blender this is Blender 2.68 Installer (40 MB) windows 32 bits.
What I meant is a better approach, than what I have done. or advice regarding a wrong approach,IE does blender2.68a require something I don’t have such as a new python or win…service pack.
as for downloading and unzip/instal this is all done, and I get crashed if i use certain buttons in blender 2.68a However I can add objects and use the X,Y,Z manipulator. I can also load a file. Things that I can’t do are getting the Object panel to open. The Modifiers and constraints panels do open,but all these will end in a crash if I go too far into them.

If you’re using an old computer, you should expect increasing incompatibility with new software in general. I don’t see what the real problem is here. If it’s telling you to install some windows service pack, do that.

No it’s not telling me of those errors. Blender is crashing when certain items are click
Example if I click the OBJECT button, the one with the other items: World, Physics, Render, Materials, Textures ext…
Blender crashes maybe you are correct that my system can’t deal with improved Blender just thought I would ask.
Thanks. I hope I can find a older version but I can’t find, anyplace to get one, Blender.org has 2.66 but not a 2.66
install it only has 2.68a install unless I’m seeing something wrong.

older versions are available here ( http://download.blender.org/release/ )
could also try graphicall (don’t know how far back they go )

as for your first post "you delete cube then add mat and it " what exactly are you adding the mat too??

Just a thought Trade… if your operating system is a bit dated and the cause of your ploblems then you could try installing the latest version of Ubuntu. You could either download it, it’s free, or buy a Linux magazine that has it on the DVD full of goodies. The install is simple and you have the option of making your machine a dual boot. That being you can choose upon start up whether you want to use Windows or Ubuntu. With Ubuntu installed, go get yourself a Linux version of Blender and things should be sweet.