BlenderAe (Blender to Adobe After Effects bidirectional data transfer)

Hi everyone, I’m excited to share a project I’ve been working on for a while called BlenderAe!

BlenderAe is an addon that enables 3D scene, camera and object data transfer between Blender and Adobe After Effects. Connect, select and export data from Blender or import layers from After Effects!

You can find the latest updates for BlenderAe here…
Blender Market - https://blendermarket.com/products/blenderae
aescripts + aeplugins - https://aescripts.com/blenderae/

5 Likes

Some recent version updates

• Fixed incorrect version number in aescripts license system for BlenderAe.

• Fixed Faces that were incorrectly exported when ‘Use Ae Comp Center’ was checked on.

Dan, I’ve experimented a bit (successfully) with your plugin. This week I cannot get it to work at all. I’ve tried numerous things. Here is the error I’m getting:

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\cswal\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\BlenderAe\BlenderAe_Export.py”, line 1007, in send_to_Ae
send_data = subprocess.run(
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 4.0\4.0\python\lib\subprocess.py”, line 503, in run
with Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs) as process:
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 4.0\4.0\python\lib\subprocess.py”, line 971, in init
self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 4.0\4.0\python\lib\subprocess.py”, line 1456, in _execute_child
hp, ht, pid, tid = _winapi.CreateProcess(executable, args,
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Any suggestions?

Hey @IceCaveMan, thanks for letting me know about this issue. What version of the Addon, Blender and After Effects are you using? Strange that it was working and now this error. Can you try removing then re-installing the addon and re-installing the preferences and let me know if you have the same issue?

Also in case it helps you or anyone else, there is a workaround for cases when the connection between Blender and After Effects is causing issues - https://youtu.be/tahtjl99ZJo?si=UMZogSK1F-wGkDzl&t=5

1 Like

I think (perhaps) I found the issue. I was thinking I needed to manually set the path to AE. For whatever reason I now see success by simply using the connect button. Huge props for your quick response. I’ll post again if I have further issues. As someone who used c4d-to-AE connectivity extensively I’m excited to leverage this tool!

1 Like

Well…looks like my issues aren’t resolved after all.

And even when I try to use your work around to save out to the documents folder (as explained in your video link)…I get an error as the plugin doesn’t like my camera.

Error:
Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\cswal\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\BlenderAe\BlenderAe_op.py”, line 116, in execute
exported = export_json_ae()
File “C:\Users\cswal\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\BlenderAe\BlenderAe_Export.py”, line 1688, in export_json_ae
selection = get_selected_objects(obs)
File “C:\Users\cswal\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\BlenderAe\BlenderAe_Export.py”, line 109, in get_selected_objects
bm = bmesh.from_edit_mesh(ob.data).copy()
TypeError: expected ‘Mesh’ type found ‘Camera’ instead

Hmm, that’s odd, I’ll send you a dm to see if we can figure it out.

OK…further exploration…

When I got the error a moment ago…here is the context: I was trying to export a face from a mesh + the camera. So I was in edit mode when attempting export.

I tried again to export the camera while in object mode and I succeeded without resorting to the workaround.

1 Like

Yes, you can select multiple objects in Object mode, but not in Edit mode. Glad to hear it’s working now.

1 Like

That makes total sense. Thanks.