BlenderGuru's Donut, I failed at video 4 / the icing will snap inside

Hello everyone,
at first, I’m German and my English are not so good.

I startet with Blender a couple of days before and try some German tutorials on YouTube, but I think the most of the German tutorials are not really good, so I look around at the English tutorials and found Blender Guru and his Donut.

Now I have some problems with the icing.
I selected the top part of the donut, duplicated it with Shift+D and make it a own object with P.
Then I added the Solidify modifier, set the thickness to 0.0015 m and the offset to 1. Make it the top modifier an apply it.
Now I switch to edit mode and will modify the icing. But I have some problems with the snapping. It will not snap or snap inside the donut.
The snapping options looks very different in Blender 3.4.2.
In the comments to the video some talk about to use the option Face Nearest. But it won’t snap around the donut.

I hope home someone can explain me that I have to do or link me a video or tutorial.

Greeting from Germany
Mario

Hi Mario and welcome to the forums.

From what I can see in your picture, the donut mesh underneath the icing does not exist. Because it doesn’t exist it does not have a face to snap to.

You seem to have not duplicated and separated your icing properly. So you will need to go back a few steps in the tutorial.

Also you’ve applied the solidify modifier too early. Wait till after you have finished modelling the icing.

Hello Chuck_Chuck

It’s right. In this part I cuttend off the top for better showing the problem.
I hope you can see it on the following picture.

Are you able to hit undo on the model, up to the point that the solidify moifier appears back in the modifier stack?

When you get the solidify modifier back, increase the thickness but do not apply it.

Move the vertices of the icing to get the shape you want and then increase or decrease the thickness of the solidify modifier. See if that fixes your problem.

It works not really fine on this way.
At first, if I not apply the modifier the body of the icing overlaps the vertices.
The next problem are the following vertices and faces, they will not snap outside the donut.
If I rise the thickness after so it will be to much in other areas.
And I don’t wont have a 4mm icing.
I think the problem is the snapping tool with the non selected vertices.

Currently I think I found a way.
After snapping inside and to far away I use the Shrinkwrap modifier.
He will use it too in the tutorial after, but the way is an other.

Learning the hard way to use stack modifiers.
Learning… if your litte daughter in room make alle pink like the video.

//EDIT
I try it now three times.
It works!

Now for me one of the hardest parts. Sculpting… I’m a technical person… not a creative.

1 Like

Glad you figured out how to do it – yes, this is definitely easier to make work with the Shrinkwrap modifier, though learning how snapping works is valuable on its own because you’ll use that over and over.

I worked the new version out a while ago when somebody else had trouble with this same tutorial: Object clipping into each others - #14 by piranha4D

Don’t worry about the sculpting; it’s easier than the snapping.

3 Likes

Yes, I trust you that is important to learn snapping.
I will read you tutorial later. My way works at the moment, but I don’t know if is a good way and will it work for other projects.

1 Like

Thank you so much.
This is a quick donut without Shrinkwarp after reading your tutorial.

2 Likes

Looking good – that second icing is a lot thinner, and I imagine you can see situations where that’s a better solution. I like the shrinkwrapped one slightly better in this case, just from an artistic point of view, but you had a lot of control over the drips in the second case.

And yes, shrinkwrapping will work for many other situations. Snapping is more of a thing that you’ll end up using all the time when modeling, especially if you come from the technical side of things and like things to fit together just so. It’s always good to know more than one way to do things because sometimes one way works better and sometimes another way, and different workflows feel better to different people. I like that Blender has so many ways to do things, even though that can be confusing at the start.

It’s really good that you’re practicing a lot – it’s a complex tutorial and the more you explore and practice on your own the better what he’s teaching will stick in your memory so you can transfer the knowledge to making other objects.

2 Likes

I know what you mean.
I think Blender ist very complex and give you many ways to use many tools. But to use the tools on a good way, you have to learn to use the tools.
In German you can found a lot of tutorials for blender, but the most workarounds looks like try and arrow, klick here and there, push there a lil and press there a bit more. It’s look like they have a nice finish but not a professional way. Not all, but a lot.
I think a tutor have to know the tools where he use and explain the tools.
For me is not important to have a nice looking donut at the end. For me is important that I have a different nice ways to build donuts in future.

1 Like

Exactly. Too bad that there are no good German tutorials, it’s extra difficult to learn something complex in a foreign language. There are a couple of good YT Blender instructors who’re German, but I checked and they don’t record any tutorials in German.

My personal favourite Blender instructor is Grant Abbitt (he’s British) who is an exceptionally good teacher IMO; very methodical and thorough, explains why he does things but doesn’t ramble, introduces different ways of doing things, talks about what can go wrong, and builds slowly on prior knowledge. He’s very professional (he has both actual teaching and industry experience), but quite relaxed and friendly. Whenever I start learning something new I always go to his channel first to see whether he has something on it. If you have time, check him out, you might like him (I also think he’s easy to understand): https://www.youtube.com/@grabbitt

1 Like

Thank you for the link. I will look at his channel.
As example.
I show and follow one complete German Tutorial for beginners with nine videos. But I learn after in another videos how I set the origin to other places in the volume, center an object in my focus and other important things to handle things.

1 Like

how did u do it pls tell me

Look at the topic I have checked as soulution.