BlenderOS is being revived. I'd love your input :-)

How the hell would you make an OS in Blender? In the text editor? :confused:

I think they are talking about a linux distro centered around Blender. An operating system is much harder than to make your own distro. I’d like something like that but I think the biggest thing is not necessarily that there is no specific distro for it but that configuring your system to make the best use of Blender is the hard part. So even just a website with tips on doing so would help. For example, I have 4 gigs of ram. I don’t know if Linux sees/uses it all or if I’d have to do some configuring to make it use all of it.

hey guy,
you’re right, an OS is indeed hard to make but by the looks of it, that hard part has already been done. Until a few weeks ago, i was running various GNU/Linux distros but none was 100% satisfying in all areas.
What i loved about PCLinuxOS was the fact that i could make a “remaster” which is very handy to have a backup and not loose work should it become necessary to reinstall. But they don’t have python2.5 yet :frowning:
What I loved about Ubuntu was how easy it was with synaptic to install software but the distro is a mess and i could not run it on all of our computers. (Mess as in wireless support was compiled with wrong libs and years of complaints on the forum didn’t matter to the ubuntu devs - bad! :frowning:
What I don’t get is opensuse. I use one monitor to control 2 computers via an KVM switch and opensuse messes up the display so that switching between the two PCs was ugly. No thanks!
All that and the fact that I prefer the gnome desktop manager have left me searching for an OS that is blender, Gimp and Inkscape friendly plus - not bloated.

A few weeks ago I have found what I was looking for: Paldo GNU/Linux
It’s fast, easy to use and all my machines are 100% happy which means that I am 100% happy.
The paldo developes bend over backwards to make blender work. I have a handful of emails from Phil who compiled blender 2.47 and is generally interested in making blender work well.
My gfx toolchain at home and at work is:
FreeMind > All projects start and end with “FreeMind”. It tracks hours, files, research and everything in between.
Blender Inkscape GIMP (I call those three: “blingi”)> The three work horses for gfx designers on Linux
OpenOffice > all administrative stuff and pdf content

After chating with a padlo dev last Friday, I believe that paldo might move towards blender as much as they can and blender/Gimp was used to design their product box for an upcoming Linux Magazine article.

Go look for yourself,
paldo.org

P.S. I’m happy to answer questions about Paldo regaring gfx work and the packages that are available :slight_smile:

I was responding to this post:

2ND P.S. also, u wanna like form a team that like makes Operating systems using blender? we could make a buncha ones like gentoo linux made by blender, Mac made by blender, and maybe even Windows made with blender. PM me if ur interested. :slight_smile:
i’d love to get into that! :slight_smile:

It seems he’s saying to make and OS IN Blender.

The only way I see how to do this is to program it in the text editor. Not a fun thing to do. :eek:

that…would
FRICKIN ROCK!!!
the idea is like having butterflies in my gut :slight_smile:
I would love to see this happen in 64bit also! and have the regular tools GIMP, INK SPACE, YAFRAY, etc
also having it able to save files so a windows partitiion can still access it would be nice, since I love my winbox and for some reason my network cards never work with linux…

I am curious about your planned use of wine? Also would like to second the easybuild of blender stuff. Perhaps put together some docs on building in linux.
I have only done a basic svn trunk with some optimizations, haven’t tried the patching yet.
JF

This is ultimately part of my plan, it’s just in the short term, I plan to go the linux distro route :rolleyes::slight_smile:

I’ve given it a lot of thought :), and it must be done lol. Just a matter of time :stuck_out_tongue:

Why I’d use wine? simple. Many applications that could be used with blender are best, or only found on windows, and to reach as many as possible, I’d go that route. I’ve also tried blender under wine, and so where there is a build for windows only, we can use it :smiley:

We bother because where there is demand there is supply…:rolleyes:

I am a mono-distroist, so I prefer to use ubuntu and I think there shouldn’t be more than 3 linux distros in the whole world. Doing a custom packaging out of a distro is something else - everyone can have a preconfigured distro like that, with tools and wallpapers etc. I personally think I wouldn’t use such a distro, rather I’d like the default blender package in ubuntu to run out of the box(crashed for me in 8.04).
anyway it evolves, I wish you a good luck.

I’m back.

I think everyone will agree that blender’s UI rocks…
so what say we set a goal for a blender WM? (as everyone seems to want :slight_smile: :yes:

for blender like WM, how about using Ion (http://www.modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/) …

.b

Interesting idea.
Are you thinking of taking the Ubuntu Studio approach, i.e. effectively being Ubuntu with a different set of defaults and some extra tools thrown in?
My vote for a WM would be xfce.

Hi Freen, yes and no. It’ll be much lighter then US, and not as generalized.

BTW, if anyone wants to join the current planning, remember to check out the network at http://blenderos.ning.com

Animux is coming out today and it seems to have all of the popular 3D, graphic, 2D animation and more. Maybe this particular Distro could work better for BlenderOS purpose than any other distro so far?

http://www.animux.org/

The animux forum is up and I’ve already signed up for it (only 3 members so far lol) but if you click on the right image in the link, you will see Elephant Dream in the featured video section. And they seems to have several sections of the forum just for 3D animation and other similiar field of skills.

Hey guys!

sorry for the delay! between studying and waiting on the latest ubuntu release, I’ve been rather busy :slight_smile:
The news is:

::: I have not created anything solid as of yet. There is another project I have to get out the door for someone else at this stage, so that has held me up for a bit as well.

:::Blender OS will be based on Ubuntu 8.10, which is going to include the improvements we so need for a blender based OS, including proper working ATI drivers, and DKMS to make life easier for non-advanced users.

:::The new OS will make use of any new blender technologies.

:::The new OS will use GNOME as it’s desktop, with the option for XFCE 4.6, OpenBox, and others, as I see the need for it.

:::The new OS will probably feature compiz fusion and the fusion icon, but this is optional (completely optional).

:::There will be at least 2 or 3 versions (based on blender) and at least 1 written from scratch (see http://blenderos.ning.com)

:::The linux versions will all be based on ubuntu (for stability reasons) unless I find that some other distro (featuring easy remastering) has better features that will serve us a little better than this one.

:::I will try to include (in the full version) all the tools I can find that make the life of blender users easier/better.

:::The OS’s will all try to use free software as much as possible. Contributions under an approved license will be accepted.

:::Space is open to contribution, administration and more. Though we can’t pay anyone, we will at least try to make a good mention of contributors unless they choose to be anonymous).

I’m at college now, so I’ll post more when I reach home.

Thanks for your interest :slight_smile:

BTW, I have shifted focus slightly, to producing versions that will fit many blender users, which means some versions will be very light (feather light), while others will be way beyond what ubuntu studio ever dreamed of (call it BlenderOS X-treme or something).

Your artwork (ie, backgrounds, icon themes (freedesktop.org+GNOME/XFCE/KDE3+4 compatible) is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: you can post your contributions here, or you can make use of our network (which features box.com storage if you like).

Thanks!