Blenders nodes for procedural creation

Will Blender get support for creation system based on nodes for any modeling or texturing task ?
Something similar to Houdini.
This is an essential area Blender is really lacking.

2 Likes

Blender has texture nodes as part of shader nodes used by Cycles and EEVEE.
So, if you want to build a creation system for texturing task : you can.

Blender also has a python API supporting custom nodes to manage anything.
Initially, the idea was to create particle nodes.
But many members of community used it to build addons able to handle procedural modeling or motion graphics.

Animation nodes is the most famous addon of that kind in Blender.
Its creator is actually working on future particle nodes. Then, he should do modifier nodes.

So, a kind of third party support is there. It will become included by default in a near future.

But if your expectation is a landscape or city builder as implemented by default, don’t count on that.
At best, there will be an addon bundled with official release.
But generally, that are too many complex projects to be maintained by core team of developers.

So, if you search for node addons, you should find something close to what you want.

1 Like

That’s not what i expect but instead the node system features to allow us to create same proedural generators of any kind as Houdini allow and as easy (like videos above).

Good, i’ll take a look.

1 Like

You might want to look at this: https://developer.blender.org/T74967 as well as this https://developer.blender.org/T67088

2 Likes

There are two free Addons which you should take a good look at.

Sverchok and Sorcar. Both are excellent and come at procedural modelling from slightly different directions.

There are threads on BA discussing these addons.

3 Likes

https://vk.com/wall-35076122_10898
There was some time ago such project in sverchok

2 Likes

I’ve just started learning Houdini (mostly to aid with speeding up gamedev tasks) and am extremely impressed by how well designed it is overall. I’m sure there are some things that’ll irritate me at some point, but it doesn’t feel at all janky or built upon layers and layers of cruft even though it’s been around 20 years. I wonder if it’s because SideFX is still a private company and they don’t have to impress shareholders…

Anyway, one of the features I absolutely love is the ability to have outputs from anywhere in your network, which can include baking or rendering to files that you can specify. If you update your network, all your files will automatically get re-output (if needed… Houdini seems to have quite good network evaluation). You can then package the network into assets that can be reused, shared with others, or even used directly in software that supports Houdini Engine. It’s amazingly, game changingly powerful stuff, and while I don’t expect Blender will try or be able to copy Houdini, I really hope that Blender will implement output file nodes and give us the ability to package up our networks into something like assets so that we can share them.

2 Likes

Some games open world environment, fully made in Houdini it’s procedural abilities.
It’s very powerfull, Blender is getting a similar node ability system for everything as “everyhting nodes”.
The advantage is to be able make assets and many variations about models and texturing with procedural generation, similart to that also

…the ability to have outputs from anywhere in your network, which can include baking or rendering to files that you can specify. If you update your network, all your files will automatically get re-output…

Have you managed to reproduce this workflow in Blender using any addon ?

Thx