BLENDING LIFE 2 — Top 5 [VOTING CLOSED] (Winners announced)

It was a pleasure look at the progress in the WIP section of the forum. I really would make it an obligation post in the WIP section to the participants for next blending lifes.

A selection of 10 entries instead five would be much more fair because some damn good entries are not present in this five selected.

When you enter this thread you are presented directly with the poll and you vote. Then you are redirected to the “nomal thread” and you see then the points we must value to give our vote… but we already voted !!! I think this is a little funny.

Hard to choose between D & E, vote for E myself as theres more besides the head modeled&textured. :slight_smile:

Now at first I would have gone for B…so B definitely should get points for primary appearance

but as I looked closer to the models I actually found out that D and E are definitely the best out there when it comes to my decision…

And, although E came very close, my final decision will be D, because that skin texturing is awesome…a mixup of it…E only seems to have one type of skin texture with a few inaccuracies, but I’m going with D…there ye have it

BTW I didn’t see a vote box, so I just put it in a message…

NVM just found the vote box :stuck_out_tongue:
appeared outta nowhere :o

First congratulations to all finalists, You’ve all done a great job!

Juan has the best hair and the most “life” for me!
Jaol wins the best stubble award!
Engelik Best skin and eyes! (though a pity they aren’t engaging us!
…sorry to keep bringing that up dude! ;))

I do find it funny that Len feels the need to keep reminding us of the guidelines

in an art competition any marking system where your “gut choice” can be “wrong” has missed something!

luckily for me my gut and marks agree!

…though it seems from the polls i’m in a minority!

Moxstudios FTW!

PS:

My marking scheme was based on a “Grand Prix” style rank out of ten where a win is better than second place!

1st: 10 points
2nd: 5 points
3rd: 3 points
4th: 1 point
last: 0 points

Here’s the scores on the doors… it always looks harsher than it is this way!
http://www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk/blendinglife/blscores.jpg

Juan does well for overall presentation because I liked his lighting the best and thought it had the most life…
Apologies to Ward who gets very low marks with my weighting scheme!
apologies also to Engelik, but the lack of styled hair makes it suffer!
Finally i must apologise to MarcelMota who I ranked very low on overall presentation for lighting!

Voted very early on and did not feel the need to comment until now only to say that am part of that minority

I thought his entry was the strongest followed by D (though I remember saying there wasn’t any art in it last time around:o)

I would have loved to have seen MichaelW’s Steve Tyler and Ben’s pirate in amongst the other entries. The are both good solid entries IMHO but perharps their stylisation hurt them seeing as the focus of this comp is on realism.

I hope there is less of a focus on only the technical side of things and some more points going of the artistic side of things, that what feels lacking right now.

That’s a great Blender showcase! I’d have taken part myself, but I had a lot of work to do. Next time there’ll be nothing that could stop me!
Voted for marcell (E), as a result of a great consideration. I’ve found only one flaw, the goggles, which look much like just conposited in the image…
Go Blending Life! And shalt the best one win!

I hear you Michael, maybe I did overstate it a bit. In comparison to me understating it last year with “vote for your favourite” without giving guidelines, for which I was criticized quite a bit :smiley:

I suppose my aim really is to encourage people to not ignore the details.

Well done on your entry by the way, even though you didn’t make the top 5 we all thought it was a masterpiece. AWESOME WORK.

ha ha, Thanks Len, I do think it’s fascinating all the ways you could do this…and also that whatever criteria/process you go with will be wrong for someone! i guess what counts is that you get lots of people to take part and have fun! I know I did!

That’s it hey Michael :wink: I think I panicked a bit, within a few minutes of me launching the polls there was already almost 20 votes (which is great) so it sent me into a bit of a panic that people are voting too fast.

But at the end of the day I think I was just fighting the concept which I set up to begin with lol. If that makes sense :stuck_out_tongue: In the end I do hope everyone still have fun :slight_smile:

So last year you were “James T Kirk”, this year “Jean Luc Picard”!

I find any management/leadership/political role is much easier to understand if you put in those terms!

Haha that’s so funny, you just made my day tx! I’ll remember that one.

Personally I prefer Kirk, however Picard is pretty cool too :stuck_out_tongue: Kirk was more impulsive I think.

I voted for Engelik,

Funnily enough I preferred 3 of the others artistically, but his was definitely very real and had a depth to it that the others missed.

Congrats to the winner when they are announced.

Nice Engelik, that expression feels very naturalistic, good job!

Ward I like yours too, as with the others, it’s just a pity those eyes are hidden behind glasses for a portrait challenge.

Good luck!

I would have loved to see Michael W’s entry up here also. Congrats to all for the hard work & thanks to those running this competition. Look forward to the next contest.

Congratulations to all the people that work hard for this contest.
Please next time to be fair a final a selection of 10 entries
and no sun glasses. sorry Ward

Hi all!
my compliments to all organizers and participants of the contest, really nice!
I have watched carefully all the works, are all good!! but the maniacal care of texture paint made by D. Engelik, fascinated me so much.
very good!

Boy…that was tough…If " Valentyn" was focused on the viewer…would never have looked away…truly amazing,but I voted for Marcell…the expression best matched the composition …far away eyes…and some killer lips…congrats to you all…

Ok… so it is interesting to see how everyone made their decision.

I am reminded of that great Monty Python skit where the Pope is arguing with Michaelangelo about the painting “The Last Supper.” He finally declares: “I’m the bloody Pope, matey, and I might not know much about art, but I know what I like!”

That’s sort of how I felt after reading the criteria, and thinking about my vote. I decided to vote based on my criteria which is: “Which Blending 2 Life looked most lifelike?”

For that, I chose D. Yes, I agree that the lack of hair may have been “cheating” – but no more than the lack of eyes in Ward’s entry. Actually, the eyes are what sold it to me. They are really hard to get right, and I just felt that Engelik came the closest to nailing it. If the eyes are the window of the soul, then maybe that is why his entry seems to have the most soul.

That said, if I had chosen the top 5, these wouldn’t have been the list… Maybe next time have voting last longer and do a round robin tournament of the top 20 – Or each week someone getting voted off (ala American Idol) or something…? I don’t know… I just didn’t feel we were allowed to vote for some of the best entries, and feel a little cheated by that.

(OK, that comes off a little strong. I’m not sitting over here fuming and burning Len in 3D effigy or anything… I just would have liked to have a little more choice, that’s all…)

ol’ arnie does have eyes, if you look at the alternate, you can see 'em :wink: