BLENDING LIFE 2 — Top 5 [VOTING CLOSED] (Winners announced)

Hello
I would have liked to vote for the pirate …
As the rating is half on the shaders, I hesitated between Engelik and Marcellmota, because it seems they have succeeded the best shaders.
The lighting of Marcellmota is not very good as Engelik, his character is a bit too pale, but he made a scene, hair … and Engelik is the first, then I support the challengers.
So I voted for Marcellmota.

Marcellmota and Engelik - very cool skin, very nice eyes (by my opinion) but Engelik’s wire is too dense. It is one of the points to vote about. And Marcellmota’s hair is better for me. And his atmosphere, the feeling of dramatism… I think, indeed, the best 3d person of these five!

P.S. Yeah, that pirate is awesome! :smiley:

LOL
I would prefer like Big Brother then, we can ask Ton to rent the Blender Foundation and put inside all the participants.

Now THAT sounds like a plan. Seriously.

i’d be up for that :smiley:

Time to install the 24 hours/day live webcam streams :cool: Just not in the bog okay? :stuck_out_tongue:

i’ll be the plucky comic relief :smiley:

Does that include any science fiction? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be the one who’s always confused, but utterly determined :smiley:

let me look it up on my universal communicator/tricorder device (whips out iphone and googles it) :cool:

So what happened to your iPad? Faulty? :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL … I better get back on topic before I get my own thread locked. Again.

Thanks to everyone who voted! Awesome stuff.

I haven’t received the scores from all the judges yet, so I won’t post the scores from the other judges until I received all of them. However here are my scores, with some comments, in the meantime.

LEN’S SCORES

A: Juan
Great likeness. Love the hair, overall particle shading is great except maybe where his hair makes contact at the temples where some shadowing is needed. Where this one lacks though is in the skin texturing – its not as realistic and detailed as the other entries. Great overall shading and nice clean presentation. Good clean mesh, next time just watch out for the wireframe artifacts when submitting, however, I “filled in the gaps” but he did not do it intentionally so he won’t be penalised by me.

Mesh topography: 10.0

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 6.0
Eyes texturing and shading: 5.5
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 8.0

Character personality & lifelike expression: 7.0

Overall presentation: 8.0

TOTAL: 44.5

B: Jaol
Awesome entry. Of all the entries I’d say this one captures all the elements of the competition the best, even though his skin texturing isn’t perfect, some stretching in the neck as also mentioned by Angela, and I feel the hair particles of his beard and eyebrows needs some work, especially the shading or particle colour. The overall image gets my attention though, I feel the lighting and scene is good and I just love this guy’s expression. Mesh is lacking a bit, I’d give more loops around the mouth, and bring more details into the neck.

Mesh topography: 6.5

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 8.0
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 7.5

Character personality & lifelike expression: 10.0

Overall presentation: 10.0

TOTAL: 47.5

C: Ward7299
A good likeness to Arnie. Good lighting, however the skin texturing is lacking compared to the other top five, I feel more detail is needed on the diffuse map. It bugged me a bit that I couldn’t see his eyes in his final because of the glasses, and was going to score zero points for eyes, but I changed my mind as he does show them in the alternate. (However I may change my mind in future competitions because it’s the “Final” image that really counts for me). Excellent hair, I love it. Good clean mesh, however I would have added more geometry running from the mouth around the cheek, to get rid of the pole sitting right next to or close to the nostrils.

Mesh topography: 9.0

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 4.0
Eyes texturing and shading: 5.0
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 8.0

Character personality & lifelike expression: 8.0

Overall presentation: 6.5

TOTAL: 40.5

D: Engelik
I’d say this is the entry with the most realism, great skin texturing and good use of particles in combination with the hair on the texture (I think). Good lighting and shading, and great use of specular. Texturing is a bit off on the ear though as pointed out by Angela. Great likeness to the original model – the original reference images. Clean overall presentation. Mesh is good with loops in all the right places, however it is very dense … applied subsurf?

Mesh topography: 7.5

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 9.5
Eyes texturing and shading: 9.0

Character personality & lifelike expression: 6.5

Overall presentation: 8.0

TOTAL: 48.0

E: Marcellmota
Excellent realistic skin texturing apart for some stretching at the bottom of his nose around his nostrils, nice overall presentation. However I hunger for more light or level correction on the subject, it might just be the entrants screen settings. I saw earlier versions of his entry in his WIP thread where I thought the subject had better lighting and it enhanced the realism of the skin textures more. Nice clean mesh.

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 8.0
Eyes texturing and shading: 6.0

Character personality & lifelike expression: 6.0

Overall presentation: 9.0

TOTAL: 47.0

IT
grazie della traduzione ,peccato che non ci sia un pulsante che traduca i trend …
EG
through the translation, too bad that there is a button to translate the trends …:smiley:

IT
grazie della traduzione ,peccato che non ci sia un pulsante che traduca i trend …

EG
Thanks for the translation, pity there isn’t a button to render (or determine) the result.

ANGELA’S SCORES:

Mesh topography: 8.5

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 6.5
Eyes texturing and shading: 6
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 8.5

Character personality & lifelike expression: 7.0

Overall presentation: 7.5

TOTAL: 44

Mesh topography: 7

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 7.5
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 8

Character personality & lifelike expression: 9.5

Overall presentation: 8.5

TOTAL: 46.5

Mesh topography: 8

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 6
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 8

Character personality & lifelike expression: 7.5

Overall presentation: 6.5

TOTAL: 41.5

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 8.5
Eyes texturing and shading: 9
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 8.5

Character personality & lifelike expression: 7.5

Overall presentation: 8.5

TOTAL: 49

Mesh topography: 8.5

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 8
Eyes texturing and shading: 7
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 7.5

Character personality & lifelike expression: 7

Overall presentation: 8

TOTAL: 46

JONATHAN’S SCORES

Engelik:

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 9
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 7

Overall presentation: 9

TOTAL: 51

Jaol:

Character realism:
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 6

Character personality & lifelike expression: 8

Overall presentation: 8

TOTAL: 43

Juan:

Mesh topography: 10

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 7

Overall presentation: 7

marcellmota:

Character realism:
Eyes texturing and shading: 7

TOTAL: 48

Ward:

Character realism:
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 9

Character personality & lifelike expression: 9

PETER’S SCORES:

Very good lighting and presentation. However there is something
strange about his eyes, I feel they are not focusing at the same point.

Mesh topography: 9

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 8 (it feels he is missing bumps but I like the shader)
Eyes texturing and shading: 9 (texturing and shading looks good)

Character personality & lifelike expression: 6 (the eyes are the problem here)

Lot of character in this one, my favorite entry.

Character realism:
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 9

Character personality & lifelike expression: 10.0

Overall presentation: 10.0

TOTAL: 55

I’'ll be back! :smiley:

Mesh topography: 9.0

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 7
Eyes texturing and shading: 5.0

Character personality & lifelike expression: 10

TOTAL: 48

Looks realistic, I think it would help if there was less perspective in presentation and the
blue light would be more subtle.

Character realism:

If there is more detail in the skin it is not vissible probably because of lighting setup.
The skin around the eyes looks darker than it should but it could be beacause of lighting again.
I am just not used to see people in this lighting setup so that could be the reaseon why it looks less realistic to me.
His beard and hair are missing subtle color variatians and looks too thick and opaque to me. Anyway I think this artist has a big potential and could be the winner next year if he can improve on few sinmple things like lighting and hair.

Character realism:
Skin texturing and shading: 8.0 (shader looks good)
Eyes texturing and shading: 8
Hair*, including eyelashes (and facial hair if applicable) texture and shading: 6

TOTAL: 44

Right peeps, these are all I have for now, I’m still outstanding one set of scores. Either way I will do the final calculations on Monday regardless.

Cheers
Len

Thanks to all who votes me!:ba:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h215/Rufty/Blending_life2_WINNERS.jpg

AND THE WINNERS ARE!

Thanks to everyone who entered! Unfortunately we can only have three winners. Well done guys! I’ll get in touch with you soon.

And once again a huge thanks to our sponsors 3d.sk and CG Cookie! I also have to give huge thanks to the judges who helped me out on this, thanks for your time and patience.

The simplified combined points came to Engelik (10); Jaol (8); and Marcellmota (6). If anyone wants me to elaborate on this I will, however the below stats are self-evident.

FIRST PLACE: Engelik — Paulo Silva
Total judges points: 197 — 82.08%
VOTES: 214 — 47.03%

SECOND PLACE: Jaol — Jesús A. OLmos Linares
Total judges points: 192.0 — 80%
VOTES: 92 — 20.22%

THIRD PLACE: Marcellmota — Marcell Mota
Total judges points: 185.0 — 77.08%
VOTES: 82 — 18.02%

LUCKY DRAW WINNER! Kuro0302 — Roland Kunkel
(Drawn by Angler Publications’ Managing Editor, Dave Rorke)

L44.5
A44.0
J46.0
P49.0
Total points: 183.5 (out of 240 = 60 x 4 judges) — 76.46%

VOTES: 32 — 7.03%

L47.5
A46.5
J43.0
P55.0
Total points: 192.0 (out of 240 = 60 x 4 judges) — 80%

VOTES: 92 — 20.22%

L40.5
A41.5
J46.0
P48.0
Total points: 176.0 (out of 240 = 60 x 4 judges) — 73,33%

VOTES: 35 — 7.69%

L48.0
A49.0
J51.0
P49.0
Total points: 197.0 (out of 240 = 60 x 4 judges) — 82.08%

VOTES: 214 — 47.03%

L47.0
A46.0
J48.0
P44.0
Total points: 185.0 (out of 240 = 60 x 4 judges) — 77.08%

VOTES: 82 — 18.02%

i’m just happy to have made it into the top 5! good job everyone! can’t wait until next year :slight_smile: