Blendoodles by KDLynch

Blendoodle 49 (Cycles, Scripting)

Today was mostly about going through previous Blendoodles, asset-ing… assetizing? … assetificating? making assets out of things previously done that might be useful, or I want to tweak some more. This is from the 500ish line python script I wrote for #35, with some of the 96 parameters changed. While I did set the colors of the materials, the remainder of the material settings are also set by the script… I will need to add some bump/normal variations at some point now. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Blendoodle 50 (Cycles, GeoNodes)

Better late than never. Revisiting my spiral geonode, as the geonodes I was working on yesterday were not complete … need to tackle those in parts rather than as a whole. :smiley:

6 Likes

Blendoodle 51 (Cycles, GeoNodes)

Glass. And more glass. Don’t cut yourself! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I like the Decco Glass, but make sure to clean up those artifacts … Or, a bit of camera placing so that no one sees them :wink:
Happy Blending!

1 Like

by artifacts, do you mean the edges of the glass? the camera is pretty close and straight on, so you’re seeing the right hand side of the left glass, and left hand side of the right glass.

Please take a look at the upper left, and see the black areas, those are geometry causing the artifacts…there is a couple in the center also, but I am not sure about those could be edges…

It is more than likely because those areas are triangulated and stretched…you can really see them in the solid view…Probably just needs a bit of topology tweaking…

1 Like

derp… i need new eyeballs. thanks for pointing that out! the bevel modifier was overacting… i really need to figure out a GN setup to do bevels the way i envision them done to avoid this in the future. :slight_smile:

i’ve rerendered … are you seeing any others?

Nope…Just the THICK Vertical LInes from the edges that I don’t care for…not sure what you could do bus light them but that would break the rest…maybe best just to get them out of the camera view…maybe pushing them back or bringing forward would help…but remember this is just my personal opinion…hopefully others will add their own opinions… :thinking:
All in all I like what you are doing here…of course I have an affinity with Art-Decco anyway :wink:

1 Like

hmm… i could reorient each pane to face the camera directly, which would reduce the thicker lines down to more what we see for the central panes. or tackle the glass material with the fresnel node and figure out how to reduce that fresnel effect, though that would move the glass further from “real” … this gives me food for thought for future renders. thank you very much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not super happy with the borders of free floating volumes (the black stuff, in this case), but that is a challenge for later. Spent all day yesterday fighting with ‘nearest point’ nodes, without solution so far. Really would like to see an “exclude-self” from nearest checkbox (for backwards compat) … imo should be that way by default, not sure what the thought process was there. :smiley:

6 Likes

(Cycles, GeoNodes, Simulation)

Using simulation (for the first time!) to apply boolean to each GN ‘building.’ Still a subtle bug biting me in this, but I’m giving up for the evening.

5 Likes

Blendoodle 54 (Cycles, GeoNodes)

Today was all about seeing how many renders I could do figuring out how Blender deals with lights through transmissive surfaces, mainly glass and coloured gels. I think I finally came sorta close with the settings to get them to react as I expect them to, though still some splotchiness to solve. :slight_smile: renders were done with 16k samples. Two different renders: the first has 2 spheres with random red, blue, green, clear, and missing frames (only a couple missing); the second with 5 spheres with random red, blue, green, (opaque) black, and missing panes.

4 Likes

Blendoodle 55 (Cycles)

Light/Glass study. There is subtle distortion in the glass (most noticable on the sphere, but they’re all equally treated). I had volumetrics in a render, but it creates a weird artifact at the top of the image, probably something in my settings, or a GPU driver issue (gtx3080), so those are removed for this render. It could use more samples, so I’ll attempt another render while I sleep. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ah god damn!

Send me that .blend already!

I’ll try to figure it out and report back :slight_smile:

Lol… had to give up on the “mo samples” render… it lied to me saying it’d only take 4 hrs. 7hrs later, it was 1/3 done, and i need the laptop for work. :smiley:

I cleaned up the file removing objects i wasn’t using, and uploaded it over on the support thread: Cycles Volumetric render, with odd sample distribution? - #3 by KDLynch
Along with what I’m seeing on my end.

Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Blendoodle 56 (Cycles)

More glass and lights. And finally getting volumetrics to work in the 2nd image. 20k samples.

4 Likes

Blendoodle 57 (Cycles)

And yet more glass and volumetric lights. :smiley:

9 Likes

Blendoodle 58 (Cycles, Geometry Nodes)

Not enough time left today to make real adjustments to my pattern geometry node setup, but dug it out anyway to make a daily render. :slight_smile: 10k samples. Now past time for some shuteye. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Blendoodle 59 (Cycles)

Mo’ glass 'n lights. :smiley: 5k samples.

7 Likes

Blendoodle 60 (Cycles, Geometry Nodes)

Today’s render was directly inspired by a post on IG ( @kenny.vaden : https://www.instagram.com/p/Cuiju6QtFWu/ ). Also, today marks my 2mo anniversary of starting with Blender! I’d like to thank GQBD on reddit for (unknowingly) inspiring me to begin this journey of daily renders. :slight_smile:

Also thank you all here on BA for being a welcoming community! :slight_smile:

10 Likes