BlenRig 6 Release

Hi cooler!

No, I haven’t had the time to get into that, although from what I’ve tested, it wouldn’t be much harder than making a basic humanoid rig follow the blenrig armature with copy transforms constraints, and then exporting that basic armature with the animation. Do you have any further knowledge about these game engines?

Hi cooler!

No, I haven’t had the time to get into that, although from what I’ve tested, it wouldn’t be much harder than making a basic humanoid rig follow the blenrig armature with copy transforms constraints, and then exporting that basic armature with the animation. Do you have any further knowledge about these game engines?

I’ve tested simple rig with UE4 and it worked fine
when I try to import FBX (Blenrig) there’s no animation at all in UE4
BTW linked files doesn’t export corrrectly, possible FBX export bug

That’s the first time I’ve ever seen a quadruple post

I don’t know what you’re talking about since (as I said before) I can’t even export the rig alone without a big file and long export time, so if you’re intent on “testing” the failures inherited with trying to export BlenRig, Blender will import the fbx file the same as engines will and you get to see the information IN blender, so if an animation is missing, it didn’t bake/export; if a deformation is off, you can see what bones are causing it.

@both
I was having animation problems with Rigify and found that the stretch features break after exporting; an addon/script for it bakes the armature/animation and disconnects the bones from each other so they can move/bend without causing the havoc given without it. This isn’t an engine problem, it’s a blender thing and exporting to fbx then importing back into Blender let’s you see the same problem the engines would show.

Agree. To see what’s wrong or good is simple export and import back to Blender.

Is there a way to speed-up viewport playback? Even with simplify 0 there’s 15fps

Cooler, which file, what character?

For example, Vincent runs at 24 fps with the high res version of the character. The low res version, which is in layer 2 runs at 40 fps or so. This is on an i7 or an i5.

If you run Blender with the new depsgraph with blender --enable-new-depsgraph it will run like 50% faster.

I’m using Blender for V-Ray and we have own characters rigged with BlenRig. There’s ~130k poly in the viewport with linked character, anyway if I switch to LP ~13k poly the FPS is the same

Thanks for this “–enable-new-depsgraph” :slight_smile: now I have almost 20fps

Mmm, well, that amount of polys is a bit too much for pretending good performance in the current viewport. Low poly with 13k is also a bit too high. I usually have to make it 7k to have a considerable difference with high poly.

In addition to the polycount, BlenRig is not a light rig, so having more than 3 character on screen will mean less than 24 fps. This is unless you erase all the facial rig. If you are not using the facial rig you can delete it and you will get a huge boost in performance.

What I’ve usually done in big projects is having the characters distributed in different layers, and that way, if you turn layers on and off you can go managing the performance. Remember that hiding objects is not of any use, you have to put them in different layers and turn those layers on and off to get a difference in performance.

Hope it helps!

Thanks for that! I’m using face rig too and will think how to reduce the LP to 7K or so!

Thanks for the tips!

1 Like

Cooler, well, if you take a look at vincent, you’ll see that for the LP I use the low poly body that comes with blenrig in layer 2. I more or less fit that body into the shape of the character and then use the hands and head of the high res character. That makes my 7k polys.

Oh, and that low poly body is already weighted, so no need to do extra work.

Hi, I had a few questions on how to set up the Blenrig for a female character model I have. My main problem right now, is getting the characters breasts to deform correctly when posing the spine controllers.

Here’s my spine placement when I was in re-proportion mode.

Here’s what it looks like on the deform cage when posing.

The cage seems to deform in a way that’s not what I want. Would re-positioning the spines in re-proportion mode again and re-baking fix some of this funky looking deformation? I wasn’t sure where exactly the best place to put them was.

I was also wondering how to add new pose controllers to the individual breasts, so I could have more control of them in animation.

Hi Donan!

Well, yes, you should add the breast controllers, and parent them to spine_3_def (which is the upper spine bone). Then it’s just a matter of weight painting, not of moving the vertices. You should paint the breast vertices of the cage with the breast controllers and reduce the influence of the other deformation bones, like spine_2_def.

Well, you just go painting the weights and tweaking in each position until you get it right.

Hey jpbouza,

is there an easy way to fix rotation of this controller?
custom aligns from baking section doesn’t work for me

Oh that’s weird. all those bones have the same properties for alignment. They should all have the same orientation of hand_def_L. Can you manually align it to that bone in Edit Mode?

Hi!
Can anyone help me find a solution for this?
I’m trying to limit the amount of rotation of Vincent’s foot. So I decrease the values of foot roll controller’s Properties, but nothing appears to happen:

Hi Anotnio!

Yes, I think I disabled the drivers for that, just to get a little speed boost. Anyway, you can enable them again from the RIG OPTIMIZATIONS tab in the rigging panel:

hand_def_L isn’t properly rolled too, axes are wrong
I tried to roll this bone (with reproportion mode and without), after rolling I press Custom Aligns. When I switch back to Pose Mode the hand itself is rolled.
can you give a step by step workflow? should I use reproportion mode and bake?