BlenRig 6 Release

Hi @Ascalon the answer to all of those questions is YES, lol. You can do whatever you want, add new bones, move them to other layers and even delete the whole face. Just parent the bones to the corresponding deformation bones and it will get in retargeting.
Basically, once you have a character rigged, you go into REPROPORTION mode again, retarget the thing, bake the meshes, then the mesh deform cage and finally the armature. Finally you rebind the meshes and that’s it, you have a new character working.

About the heel thing, well, that’s a rigging thing that you should figure out, it seems a bit tricky, it’s doable, but it’s tricky.

About the script, well, you need the addon for the GUI, but the characters should work ok without it too.

@donaldnjeru well, as a rule of thumb, you never move an armature in object mode in Blender… That is, unless you also move all the objects that are rigged with it in the same way. So generally you don’t do that.

For attaching a character to a car, you can add a child of constraint to the master bone so that it moves with one of the bones of your car. If you are working with links, you could also directly parent the armature in object mode and the character’s empty to that car bone, and that will also work.

1 Like

Guys BlenRig 5 Ver. 1.04 is now available for Blender 2.8!

This is a direct port from the Blender 2.7 version so don’t expect any new features, although I’m still working on new stuff for future releases.

Now you’ll be able to use Victor, Vincent, Agent 327 and Spring or even rig your own characters in Blender 2.8.

Also, for the ones who still don’t have a Blender Cloud Subscription, we’ve made all the BlenRig Tutorials available for free on Youtube

Get it from The Blender Cloud or from Gitlab

7 Likes

Thank you! Off to play with it now…

hi,i’m using blenrig, when ajuesting the eyes bones for my model by pressing ‘s’ , , eyelid can’t close completely, does somebody find this question?:joy:

Hi @Xudong_Han! As you can see in chapters 11 and 12, you have to manually adjust the facial actions to fit your character. :slight_smile:

great info!thank you:smiley:

Hi, since 2.8 is around the corner I tried the updated BlenRig for 2.8.
But I am somehow not being able to do it correctly it seems.
The new Collections instead of layers and the different layout all around, make if pretty complicated to apply the video tutorials to the new 2.8 way of things.
Does anyone have a video for the rigging in the newer version?
Something like Vincent 2.8 or the likes?

Thank you.

I have tried again and again to follow the video tutorials and the written tutorial, but I am not able to find the “bake mesh” button.
The “bake aramature” is available, but not the one for mesh.
Since the character that I would like to rig is more of a Chibi style, the head is extremely big and the legs are vanishingly small. Without the remeshing of the mesh cage there is no way to get any good deformation.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

SLAAAP. That is the tiny noise my hand made as it lightly touched my forehead. :wink:
Thank you very much, somehow I managed to not find it.

Fantastic work on this. I’m currently looking to switch my game rigging/animation workflow from Max to Blender. Does(or will it) your tool support UE4/Unity export/retarget and does it have mocap features? Sorry, I haven’t had the time to read the thread.

Cheers.

Hi Danny! The next release will have a game engine export ready rig. I’ll try to make it compatible with the Unreal mannequin, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to do that at first as there is this weird difference in axes orientations between Blender and Unreal… Well, and the limited options FBX gives us doesn’t help either. But I’ll work on it.

About Mocap, no it still doesn’t have automated Mocap features, I have to work on that and get some coding help too :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply. All good, mate. Yes, I think it has something to do with the fingers and toes between Blender/UE4? UE Mannequin would be fantastic. I’ve been looking at this guy’s videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM4kmLaBF10J2qsezFz-zxA/videos He has created a commercial script to deal with the UE4 issues you mentioned and the retargeting/renaming setup that is usually the biggest pain with rigs from DCCs to UE4 skeleton. Look forward to seeing how you go.

Cheers.:+1:

EDIT: I figured it out. Although, it was a solution I could have sworn I already tried – 1. go into Edit mode and create a new bone for the hat. 2. Weight paint the hat to that new bone. 3. Parent (with offset) that bone to the hat_mstr bone.

@jpbouza I’m having trouble figuring out how to rig extra items, like hats and eyeglasses. I watched the Vincent timelapse, but even going frame by frame I can’t tell what the process is. It looks like there’s a completely separate Armature for the hat/glasses, but I don’t know how to get that connected to the Blenrig control splines (hat_free, hat_mstr).

Hello!

First of all, I want to say thank you for what you’re doing for the Blender Community - BlenRig 5 is fantastic!

I would like to translate full playlist of tutorials (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2YsX_b1o4Sg1dSZQ3eKeyQfrQ2PIRNT6) into Russian if possible. I run the BrainyMan channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTsJ31POjQwlPWJvxurINXA), where I translate many Blender artists (of course with their permission). I would like to to acquaint the Russian-speaking community with BlenRig. On any terms that suit you.

I’m looking forward to translate it :slight_smile:

If you weight paint or parent any item to the hat_mstr or eyeglasses_mstr bones, they should work ok

Hi man, yes, of course you can do it, I need to translate all that into Spanish myself…

So yes, just do it and let me know when they are published so that I can have some fun listening to the Russian version :smile:

Great, thx!

Hello Juan Pablo! Thanks a lot for great BlenRig 5. I’m an animator and it’s the best rig system I ever used.
But IK/FK snapping of hand and head does work incorrect if I’m not mistaken. When switching it occurs jerking. How can I manage with it?

@jpbouza I feel like I ask a lot of questions about Blenrig, but I’m not normally a character TD so please don’t hate me for all the questions! :smiley:

I’m having a problem now on a new character that didn’t happen before on any others. When I scale the “hand_close_L/R” controller, the fingers bend in a weird way. Hopefully the attached pic will explain better.