Blood & Rust anime

Long long ago, when I had Cinema 4D thanks to a very good offer from 3D World Magazine I started work on my Blood & Rust anime series. Unfortunately, upgrading to the latest version costs more money than I can even spare, so I recently rediscovered Blender, and I love it. Basically I am going back into an old project again, this time using Blender. As you can see from the first two images, done in C4D, the character’s strong points is displacement and bump mapping. Admitteldy I am still new to the software but learning at a comfortably fast rate. I still have a long way to go, but the character is thus far looking… well okayish… a lot of work needs to be done to make this simple looking character look more realistic. If you have any advice on how to improve the last image which is a blender render, I’d appreciate the input.

Thanks for your time

Attachments

you need to add fill light
also, the specularity is too high and it looks like there is no bump or normal mapping
and the composition is kinda killin’ it

Comp is basic, but it’s my next learning stage

Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

It’s the bump map I need to learn

Well I finally figured out the nodes and must admit I actually prefer it. Here is my result so far.Still needs a bit of work, less polish on the rust I think. Any suggestions?

Attachments

I swear it’s the same free Cinema4D ver. I picked up from a bargain bin magazine shop years ago. God I loved that program! Although, compared to blender now, it’s pretty primitive :wink:

Anyway… only advice I can give - MORE LIGHT! I’d like to see the model in all it’s light bathing glory! Then I can see if any advice is needed. :slight_smile: