Blue Beetle - Jaimie Reyes

Thumbnail

Jaimie Reyes is the (best) Blue Beetle, a DC Comics character with a partially parasitic alien scarab fused to his spine, that makes him an extremely powerful force to reckon with (he can take down half-Kryptonians with ease) and a dangerous sleeper agent for an alien invasion of Earth.

I made everything- including the background- myself. The whole thing took about four days, including character creation and texturing, creating a rig from scratch, and hand-painting the background.

Art Breakdown

Background

I painted a quick value test of the background first, using the tunnel composition. I painted the background in Affinity Photo, using gouache brushes.

Character rigging

As mentioned, I built the rig from scratch. It’s a fairly simple rig, with two notable additions: 1, I added bendy bones to the arms and spine for better twist, a method I learned from Dikko, and 2, I added pectoral deformers for a better chest and shoulder deformation. It’s not perfect- my weight painting could use some work on this area- but it definitely gives a better result than without.

Texturing

Base shaders

I used simple cel-shading + a “rim” light, using the Curvature node from GooEngine:

I used a Bump node and a Wave texture to add some inner lines to the legs and arms.

Custom Highlights with SDF nodes

To get the custom highlights, I used SDF nodes from GooEngine:

2023-01-04 11_31_12-Blender H__blender_projects_2022_12_bluebeetle_bb.blend

They're highly manipulatable and easily riggable:

Thruster flame

Character pre-rig/posing

Compositing and scene set up

I used a camera with very low focal length to get the foreshortening effect- 15 mm. For compositing, I added some film grain overlay and mixed a blurred version of the image into itself to get a diffuse glow (which really helps with the 2D animation look):

Thanks for looking :slight_smile:

41 Likes

It’s amazing to see how you really dive into your projects and the results are worth your effort!

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate that! It does take a lot of investment - time and thought - to get results, but I really enjoy the process :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely lovely :blush::blush:

1 Like

Thanks, it was a lot of fun to work on :smiley:

1 Like

Well deserved feature sir!
Also, nice art breakdown! Some fine topic management right there.
Nice touch showing the character behind your node tree!

1 Like

This looks epic, stylization and detail for the win!

1 Like

Thanks! I like to do detailed breakdowns, it’s always annoying when I see something cool and I have no idea how to replicate it. My goal is that anyone could recreate my work :grin:

That wasn’t intentional, per se, I was compositing and had the Backdrop on, but it does look pretty cool, I agree :sweat_smile:

Thanks! I definitely could have added more detail, but I’m still really happy with how it turned out

3 Likes

Congrats on making the featured row.

1 Like

Thanks! Here’s hoping I can do it again sometime :wink:

Looks amazing!

1 Like