Bmw m4 csl

Hi, this is my first post in this community and i want to show you my latest project i’ve been working for using blender.
the new custom BMW M4 CSL , the fastest production car for BMW so far.
i’m quit satisfied for this final render and i hope you guys like it.

10 Likes

Hello and welcome to the blender artist community :grin:

Your BMW looks slick :star_struck: I like the color choice too, how long did take you to finish this project?

I hope to more works from you soon! :facepunch:t2:

1 Like

Ooh hi it’s special moment for me to receive my first reply to my post :grinning:, So Thank you for your support.
To be honest l don’t know exactly how long it tooks me to finish this model but it’s longer than I expected😅 because l’m taller 2 cm than when i started modeling this car

3 Likes

Woahhhhh! You modeled that whole thing? That’s a big achievement man. I’m always impressed by people who have modeled an interior because interiors are so challenging and complex.

Although I won’t leave you without any feedback. If you’re going for peak quality everywhere, I’d say that the rendering, materials, and exterior surface quality could all use some improvement. Although, it seems obvious to me that modeling is your strong suit, and there’s nothing wrong with focusing on that, especially if getting a job is your goal. :wink: Just let me know if you do want me to elaborate on any of those other aspects though. I’d be happy to expand on them.

Keep grinding mate!

3 Likes

Welcome to BA! Really good modeling job, especially since modern cars are hard to do without NURBS.

Let us know if you want critique. :wink:

2 Likes

Oh thanks , I really appreciate your feedback :grinning:.
Yes I have a lot to improve specially in interior materials I really didn’t give it what it needed , l just used some free materials from blender kit whitout giving it my own touch , so I will be happy to give me some of your knowledge to make this model looks realistic.

Thank you @piranha4D :grinning:.
Hahah yes of course I’ll be welcoming every critique here , just go for it

1 Like

Hey there :wave:t2:

Glad to be your first reply ahah, as everyone said here the modeling is amazing, I can’t wait to see other works from you, and I’ll be glad to help you :blush:

Keep up the good work!:clap:t2:

1 Like

Yes there is more projects to come, stay tuned :wink:

1 Like

No problem, man!

Gotcha, so if realism is your goal, I’d definitely go for some improvements in all three areas that I mentioned.

For materials, it sounds like you would pretty much have those in good shape if you gave it “[your] own touch” as you mentioned.

As for the surface quality, this is all about having smooth surfaces where reflections flow across panel gaps without going wonky with pinching and stretching from the subdivision surface modifier. There are two good ways that I know of for getting the best quality surfaces:

• The shrinkwrap technique
  • Parametric modeling in CAD

With the shrinkwrap technique, you can do everything in Blender, but it takes a bit of practicing and experimenting to get great quality. There is a free YouTube video that explains the basic idea here: Advanced Subsurf Modeling - Techniques to Avoid Pinching and a paid course which really goes in depth here: Master Car Creation in Blender. I can personally recommend it, but it’s important to note that the videos were recorded in Blender 2.79 so it might be difficult to follow if you’ve never used pre-2.8 versions.

As for parametric modeling in CAD software, this is definitely the proper way to model a car, and the software used will usually have an extensive toolset for perfecting the flow of reflections across surfaces plus they are designed for making complex surfaces so there are a lot of tools for making cuts in surfaces, rounding edges (filleting), etc. A couple programs that are good for this are Rhino and Autodesk Alias.

Finally, on the topic of rendering, I would highly recommend checking out Daniel Vesterbaek’s work. He has some great videos about lighting cars and even animating them as well as great examples of automotive rendering in his portfolio which you can use to get ideas for improving your own renders.

2 Likes

thank you very much for your efforts, that’s helped a lot :hugs:.

yeah the shrinkwrap technique looks very efficient , in my case it’s hard for me to find the right position to apply this maybe in the side of the car where is situated the fake air vente , but in the front bumper its tricky little bit because the surface is too curved , it needs some practicing as you said.

for the Parametric modeling in CAD that’s looks interesting and totally new for me i will try to learn more about that in order to achieve some serious hard surface quality.

1 Like

I didn’t know about the second technique either, but I imagine that if we want to achieve perfect shapes, that’s the way to go, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you :grinning:!