Boat on an ocean sim

Hi,

I’ve made a boat in blender and animated it floating on an ocean simulator. Is there a way so that the water doesn’t show in the boat? At the moment, because the boat is slightly under water the simulator in inside it too (if you know what I mean).

I want to make it so that the water isn’t in the boat.

Is there a way to do that?

My immediate thought would be dynamic paint. The ocean is the canvas, the boat the paint brush. Then you use the paint on a displacement modifier, which displaces the ocean in the boat to be far below the boat. No idea if this works, though.

I was thinking the same thing, but using alpha instead of displacement.

Thanks for your replies! Can you tell me how to do that because I don’t know how?

I just played around with this myself, you got me curious and it turns out you don’t need a displacement modifier. The ocean sim can do the displacement using dynamic paint already, so it’s really no hassle.

https://www.mediafire.com/?p8dc3xifrct0xki
Here’s the blend file of my little test scene, it should give you a good idea of what you need to do to get this working. Before you use this you really should create a folder where you can store the cache of the dynamic paint as well as ocean sim, so they don’t get parked somewhere in a random directory where you’d forget them.

The notable settings are the ocean sim resolution, it should be fairly high to ensure the displacement around the boat is smooth. Be careful though, if you don’t have a powerful computer it will get quite slow with too high resolution.
Also the boat itself doesn’t do anything besides serve as the parent for what I put on layer 2, which is a wireframe version of the boat, completely closed off and scaled on the z axis quite a bit, so the dynamic paint works properly, since it uses proximity and volume.

check the blender wiki for alpha mapping and dynamic paint.

foam is always a bonus. :ba: