Bob the rabbit has an attitude

I’ve been noodling on this character for about a week now, and finally deem it finished enough to post:

All the materials are completely procedural, the mesh is mostly sub-div, not sculpted, and it’s all rendered in Eevee.
I started out thinking I was mainly doing it for 3d-printing, but ended up focusing on rendering and lighting instead. Hope you’ll like it.

It’s based off of this quick sketch my talented friend, and AD on the Steamworld Games and The Gunk, Tobias Nilsson posted in a chat:

If anyone has any questions about the process, I’ll try to answer as best I can.

Here are the non-shaded image and a wireframe:

And a crop for the Thumbnail:

65 Likes

I like it. It’s awesome.

1 Like

Jazz Jackrabbit meets Fallout. I like it.

2 Likes

Fantastic. Well done. :ok_hand:

1 Like

I did an updated version with a proper background. Since this started out as a 3d-printing project I had settled for just a base before. Everything is still just an Eevee viewport render

Posting the first render down here, for posterity. I hadn’t done a background as I was still mainly thinking printing for the mesh.

And I’m still preparing it for printing. The biggest challenge there is turning all those hairs into meshes and re-meshing them into the head mesh. Also want to try and make the irises concave in the print and then dripping and curing some clear resin to get a proper cornea. Will update as it comes along.

5 Likes

Very nice work!

1 Like

And here’s the model ready for printing:

My poor laptop got pretty hot converting the hair to meshes and then decimating it down to something manageable.

I’ve separated it into pieces to get a little bit larger print for this one. Should come out somewhere between 20-30cm tall.

The first plate is running in the printer as I write, and I’ll post the results if the print succeeds.

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

First batch of parts came out great. This is going to be a pretty big figure once it’s assembled :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve gotten som questions on other forums on how I approached the hair, so I thought I’d do a quick rundown on my the process here so it’s in a more public space.

I actually started out with Blender’s Particle Hair since I was more used to that system, but I didn’t really like the amount of guide hairs I had to control to get a good short fur look, so I decided to give the geometry nodes system another try.
Once I played around a bit more with the interpolate hair group I got some quick nice results with very few guide hairs needed to control the flow.

The key to getting them as sleek against the shape of the mesh as I wanted was to use the Shrink Wrap Hair Curves group in the stack

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 17.02.10

Then using noise and clump and frizz on top of that for some more variation

After that I added another hair object that I just generated on the mesh without placing any guide hairs.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 17.03.14

And then some frizz and noise to make them more messy and stand out from the rest of the sleeker hair.

I added a third hair object for the longer tuffts on the cheeks and forehead.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 17.03.48

For all of the objects I controlled the length and density with vertex weights on the base mesh, that I then put into a Trim hair group with a length set to 0 and used that to blend away hair where I did not want it.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 17.05.22

Finally I added a last hair object for some eyelashes to make the eyes pop more.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 17.03.30

2 Likes

For the eyes I’m just reusing a cartoonish eye shader and mesh that I use on most of my Blender Eevee projects. It works as a realistic shader too, if you input proper textures instead of the simple gradients that I’m using here.

The object is comprised of two sub-meshes. One for the sclera and one for the Iris, with a separate shaders for each of them.

The Iris is not much more than a gradient, with some noise applied by leading the coordinates through a Musgrave. No fancy settings for this material at all.

The Sclera has a few more things going on. First of all Screen Space Reflections and Refractions have to be turned on in the render settings for it to work at all.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 17.29.59

And Screen Space Reflections have to be set in the material settings, as well as a shadow mode that is not opaque. None, Clip, or Hash all work well dependent och what you want.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 18.17.10

There are a few different shaders mixed together to get a diffuse white, a translucent yellowish ring around the cornea, and the glass shader for the actual cornea itself. The two gradients mixes what part will be transparent, what will be the translucent transition and what is cornea.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Full print assembled and base coated. Turned out pretty good… and big.

1 Like