Bones change shape when I transfer armature from Blender to Maya

Hi! I have a model and rig, which I didn’t create. When I export it as an FBX from Blender and import it into Maya, most of the bones radically change shape, turning into an unusable mess. I was wondering if anybody knows why this is happening and how to fix it. I don’t care about keeping animations, constraints, shapekeys, etc. I only want the bones themselves and the weight painting. Any help would be appreciated.

Model and Armature in Blender

Model and Armature in Maya

Bones are only theoricaly matrices, point where the object bone … move …rotate and scale.
It’s up to the software you are using to display them on screen as the developer want. So if there is no octahedron dislay in it. You ll not see it. What you see in maya is the root of bones displayed as wireframe bone.
You could in maya change the display size…
And it seems that you have exported also extra bones generated at export time on the tip of chains.

2 Likes

*.FBX files do not store bone length, only joint position and rotation. “Add Leaf Bones” checkbox in *.FBX export options (enabled by default) tries to preserve the length by adding extra bones at the tip of each chain, but I am unsure if Maya or any other software can properly interpret this

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. A part of my question is if Maya needs those leaf bones or not.

As told before, it’s just to evaluate the bone length. But technically, it’s not necessary.

1 Like