I’m having a problem with creating an irregular shape and wonder if I need to post a bug report.
I try to create 3 intersecting button like shapes and merge them using the Boolean Union. The 3 shapes are manifold but after merging them using Boolean Union it seems the become Non Manifold.
To reproduce it, I do it as follows:
- Add a bezier curve and put it in the correct shape
- I then convert the curve to a mesh
- Then I spin it 360 degrees
- Remove doubles
- Add faces to the top and bottom
- Then I copy the shape 2 times and move it on the Y axis so they’re neatly aligned but with overlapping skirts
- Then I do Boolean Union so the 3 buttons form 1 shape
- Then I use the 3D Printing button Make Manifold and notice that the shape wasn’t properly merged using the Boolean Union.
Whatever I try, when I press the Non Manifold button, the design gets broken because the new shape is Non Manifold so a lot of verteces get lost.
I played around with the Normals, regular Join (actually better to avoid this), Solidify modifier, Remove Doubles (non are present) but nothing that solves the issue.
Either I’m overlooking something or the Boolean Union modifier has a bug in it. I hope it’s the first. I attached my blender file (Test.blend.zip (172 KB)) recreated with version 2.79. In fact I first created it with version 2.72 with the exact same issue so that’s why I tried it with the most recent version.