brain-anatomy-biology-question

Dear
I am a researcher-PhD student workingin in anatomy of the brain. I have cross-sections of the brain, 2D photos. I am extremely confuse in how could I use blender. I would like to create a “cave-like” presentation of the sections in order to visualize them as a 3D structure.
I am using corel-draw in order to design the profil of the section. I wonder how colud I make a stack with the sections and then, attach, create a “skin” in a 3D view.
Sorry guys for my bocavulary I am new in this matters.
Do anyway would be interested in participate or colaborate with some type of anatomical 3D reconstrucction?

ernest

How many sections are you talking about? If the sections are extremely thin, you could make circles with enough vertices to match the profiles, stack them, then connect them using the “bridge” tool (in Mesh>>Scripts). With thicker sections, you could use tubes, then scale them down the z axis so they became disks of the appropriate thickness.

You’ll need some way of keeping things organized. If you make each section a separate object, you can move section you’re working on to one level, put the finished sections on another level. When you’re done, use join objects to make them all the same object so you can connect them.

Or, Alt+Bkey will let you view only a part of your mesh (Alt+Bkey toggles back to seeing everything). Hkey will hide selected vertices (Alt+Hkey will “unhide” them.)

You can skip the corel draw part of the project and bring your photos directly into Blender using View>>Background Image in the 3D View window.

If the photos are public domain, you could probably get a contest going here to see who could do the best brain model :smiley: !

At the Blender conference, Alberto Cardona discussed his methods for using Blender to reconstruct serial sections of Drosophila brains and annelid ganglia/connectives. I don’t begin to understand the algorithms, but it seemed promising (I am also a neuroscientist). Google for videos of “Blender Conference 2006” to view his presentation.

Edit: Here is the link. It starts after a few seconds of the “No Vid!” screen.