Brandon Graham's Artwork Animated in Grease Pencil

Tusk2

I’m a huge fan of Brandon Graham’s drawing style and I thought it would be fun to make one of his pieces come to life. What better tool to use than Grease Pencil! Here is the original drawing by Brandon Graham:

I started the project by bringing the original drawing into Blender and making it a reference so that I could adjust the opacity and begin tracing. I wanted to stay as faithful as I could to the original piece.

After I had the main body drawn, I started working on the wheels. I didn’t know what the wheels would look like spinning so I sort of simplified things here. The wheels are on a four frame loop.

After the wheels I began drawing and animating the other elements that would move separately from the main body.

Here is screen shot of all the different grease pencil objects:

Most of the other grease pencil objects are on an eight frame loop and are parented to the main body. Since the wheels are on a four frame loop I used the TimeOffset modifier to repeat the frames.

In order to get all the objects to overlap correctly I moved them forward or backward on the Y axis in 3D space.

To finish the project I rendered out 8 final images at 2160 x 2160. I then brought those images into DaVinci Resolve as an animated sequence. I repeated the loop on the timeline until the animation ran for 7 seconds. Then I exported the final video at 1080 x 1080.

Here is the original video that I uploaded to Youtube:

Thanks to all the individuals who have contributed to Blender. It is an amazing tool!

57 Likes

This is very impressive, must have taken a while. Nice work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much! It did take a while but I learned so much about Grease Pencil in the process that it ended up being a very rewarding project on many levels. Thanks again for your comment, I really appreciate it!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks so much Bart! Very excited to be featured!

1 Like

so so nicely done, I really need to learn more about Grease Pencil, this is looking awesome

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Thanks Bart! Very cool to be on the Blender Nation site!

1 Like

Thanks so much Medo! Yeah, Grease Pencil is so cool, I highly recommend it.