British Isles esque Landscape exploration

I am trying to explore some British isles -esque landscapes. This terrain is made in GAEA. Textured in Substance painter. Everything else is done in Blender.

Please let me know what you think about it. :slight_smile:

34 Likes

Wow, that’s incredible!

1 Like

Hi there, amazing job!
I love it!

A few thoughts, if I may. For me, large scale nature compositions are always about distance. You want to be inside that plane, and fly through the valley to find what’s beyond. That aspect you perfectly provide. One teeny tiny lil bit of critique. The left side of said valley is a bit too generic, the lines of foliage is soo prallel, that it catches the eyes in the wrong way.

How to disect the scene, and make it even more varied, you ask? Licken, schrubs!!! It is Scotland! Insert some white and pink and lilac foliage in the countryside, so the viewer can check it out, get lost in detail, but OHH, What happened to the airplane?? And swiftly check back on that. It may seem like spiritual BS, but it is not :stuck_out_tongue:

The thing about 2D renders is to think about them as part of a flow. You cannot hype your viewers up in an animation, because you have a still. So what do you need to have?
A distant point to concentrate on (end of the valley and the ocean)
An actor (the plane)
Distraction (varied foliage)
Like reading a book. WHAT’S GONNA HAPPEN TO THE HEROO? Oh, wait, I’m gonna imagine the flowers first :smiley:
And you may add lil tiny sheeps or maybe a shepherd. Really low poly just some ant like figures. So the viewer can say: What may that shepherd think about that plane, what is the historical context? Ww2, or creating dams in Scotland after ww2, destroying the natural living space for the sake of electricity?

And what might the driver think?
See? :joy: It works!!!

It is really (really) hard, to get this kinda dynamic in a 2D render, but you MARVELOUSLY solved it. The rest is just my mumbling, because I want to be there sooo much :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@AgentTuron That’s such a great feedback! Precise, kind, and respectful. Thank you so much for taking your time to do this :slight_smile: . Really appreciated!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

This is really pleasant to look at. I have a thing for huge open areas and wide landscapes, this really scratches that itch. I like the whole feel of it with the dark sky and the clouds far in the distance, good job man.