Broccolium - Sketchbook

Long time, no post. I was intending to submit an entry into last weeks weekend challenge, but I ran out of time, with it being Canadian Thanksgiving, and me being Canadian – that’s my excuse anyway, and I think it’s a pretty good one. Though, I did do some sketching and came up with a few ideas, see:

And I got a start on the scene in blender for the my entry before I ran out of time:

Even if I don’t finish my entry, I still enjoy the process of coming up with ideas and sketching them out. The process I’ve use goes like this:

1. write down a definition/description of my understanding of the meaning of the theme, as well as write down definitions from various sources for the theme phrase and phrase words
  2. a. make associations with related ideas and use my visual mental library to form images in my head
    b. If I find something that seems interesting to me, I build on it by making further associations with that specific idea
    c. think about the colour and composition of the final image
  3. sketch it out using just enough detail to get the idea across, and make notes on anything that is not clear in the sketch

I really like having a written prompt as a jumping off point for creativity, and this process lets me get out many ideas without having to commit too much time to any single idea.

(Side note: congrats to @PMDesigns on the win in last weekend, great idea and execution!)

11 Likes