Broccolium - Sketchbook

Hello,
I’ve been making 3d art for many years, previously with 3ds max, and now in recent years with blender. I think blender is amazing, I love how much can be accomplished within it alone, the ease of use, the community, and also, that it’s free!

I post 3d art on my instagram, artstation, as well as other 3d art communities like polycount.

Comments and criticism are welcome

To get the thread started, here is a 3d sketch I recently created in blender:

20 Likes

Welcome to the sketchbook section :slight_smile: There’s a thriving underground community of sketchbooks here, I’d encourage you to take some time and glance around at some other sketchbooks, we will happily welcome you into the Blender Artists Sketchbook club if you want to be a member.

As for your art- nice! I like the surreal nature of it, and the lighting is really nice. It definitely focuses your eye exactly where you wanted it to be, there’s a good level of detail without being cluttered as well.

5 Likes

Thank you for the compliments and the welcome!

I will definitely have a look around, sprinkling likes and the occasional comment here and there to earn my acceptance into the club :smile:

4 Likes

Here, let me give you a gentle nudge through the door :wink: @piranha4D come check out this new sketchbook

3 Likes

Love the tones! Perfect contrast without being too overwhelming.

4 Likes

Welcome, both to BA and the Sketchbooks in specific. My favourite section because I often learn the most, and the direct support is quite strong. I’m new to Blender, and to creating 3D art myself, but I love it to bits.

I like your image; it immediately makes me wonder what the story is here. Interesting composition too, and I like the complementary colours.

3 Likes

@elkisate Thanks! I played with the color management settings and my composition curves for honestly too long before I settled on something

@piranha4D I am feeling very welcome now, thank you :smile:
My goal with the scene was to make something that looks nice and evokes certain feelings, while also giving the sense that there is some story to be told.

Recently, I’ve changed my approach to 3d art. I used to be only focused on modeling specific objects according to reference, usually using hard surface techniques. There is nothing wrong with that; I still like doing that and will continue to do so, every so often. However, I decided I wanted to try to vary what I am creating and try to be looser with my 3d art: doing a speed sculpt one day, a quick scene another day, making a character yet another day, modeling some hard surface item the next, and so on. I used to get bogged done in worrying about minute details of my model, and that took the joy out of modeling. Now I’m trying to find ways to enjoy the process more and not allow myself to get stuck.

3 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

:grin: Thank you very much, Bart

1 Like

Here is something I started but don’t plan to finish

It’s based on this concept by Su Jian. I saw it on artstation and really liked it, so wanted try it in 3d (The characters in my image are only flat cutouts from the concept).

9 Likes

Wow, nice job on the style!

1 Like

Thank you, Joseph! The artist Su Jian has a few drawings (?) on their artstation in this style, and they are great. I guess it is a bit like sketchy high-contrast comic book art, using black fine tip pen and markers of various tip thicknesses.
I thought about trying to replicate the shading style using procedural shaders, but I did not get to that. Something I might return to in the future. In the above image, the outlines are duplicated meshes, fattened and flipped, with a black shader. The larger pipes are textured with a tiling texture I made from concept image.

3 Likes

Made this face animation with shape keys using an old head sculpt from zbrush - the same one from my 3d sketch from my first post. It’s a bit stilted, and creepy, which is in some parts intentional and some parts not.
CreepyFace5

I’m inching towards taking on creating a full real-time character in blender. The only character I’ve created in 3d is a fairly simple robot.

5 Likes

It’s always interesting how unsettling it is to observe a head without eyebrows, skin coloration, and eyelashes. These seem like small details, but they can very quickly move the needle from horrifying to beautiful. Nice sculpting, I look forward to seeing this with those details added :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, I agree :grin:
The details make all the difference when trying to avoid the uncanny valley.

1 Like

(I posted this over in the finished work section as well)

I made this animated sequence to learn animating, compositing, and video editing in blender. I had little experience in any of these prior, and none specifically in blender, so I learned quite a bit while making it.

Check it out on instagram at this link, or on youtube below

Square Render

16:9 Render

Wireframe

10 Likes

Oh, very cool! I like how you made a little story out of it, complete with music.

2 Likes

@piranha4D Thanks, Pir!

Speaking of the music, I realize I forgot to credit the source. It is a royalty track by Eon I found on youtube (see below). I added some sound effects on top of that, some of which I processed with audacity.

I started the “Warp TV” animation several months ago, but only recently came back around to finish it up. I am trying out full body character animation for another animated sequence, which made me think about this project that was 90% done.

Here is the character animation I am working on:
ER_ANIMSHOWINGsm
I used the human armature from the Rigify with automatic weight paint and auto generated the rig. The rigging/weighting process was much easier than I expected. Of course, with a more complex character it will probably not be so simple.

6 Likes

great stuff!

1 Like

I took an extended break from making anything in blender at the end of last year. Now back at it, I finished up the animated scene with my character animation I showed above. Here is the link to my finished projects thread where you can see that animation.

And a frame from the scene:

On to the next project!

2 Likes