Broken Shadows – Portrait, Grunge theme (.blend included)

nice one Len! five stars!

PS. watched alone in the dark today, sad that the Iron Maiden - Afraid of the dark was not in there would have made a nice Homage! :RocknRoll: (felt like saying that for some reason, lol!)

oh, sorry about not being specific enough :confused: what I meant about the ear area was meant only about the rings themselves… It only seems a bit distracting to my eye to see the highest concentration of true-black right next to the face, hanging off of the ear. The darkest values of the picture occur in the eye, eye shadow/lashes, top right corner, and in the general locus of the earrings. this is fine really, but the distracting part is how there really isn’t a balance of these darkest of dark spots in the picture. Maybe if you darkened the edges of the picture, or the bg, or maybe even lighten the earrings a bit or add a spec lamp to give a some highlights it may add some visual balance. Really the only reason for the nit-picky stuff is because of how well you’ve executed the rest of the piece here. Going the extra mile makes all the difference. :wink:
congrats!

Felix_Kütt: Hehe thanks! I hear ya! :slight_smile: Not too long ago Bruce Dickinson appeared in an article in the sportsfishing magazine I work for, him and the guy who wrote the article are fishing mates. :slight_smile: ROCK ON!!

dmancrosse: Hey thanks for your feedback dmancrosse, I really appreciate it as it will help me improve next time, it’s sometimes difficult to notice things after staring at the same image for so long so your feedback is really welcome hey :slight_smile:

Hehe, no worries. I know what it can be like looking at a WIP and subsequent renders forever and getting lost and not seeing everything. Been there too many time myself.

BgDM

really great, only thing bugging me is the ear rings color & they seen to get lost toward the top of the ear, they are not going through the ear as they should.
Apart from that absolutely great.
m.a.

Thanks Meta-Androcto, yeh I think I shoulda made them to pierce a bit lower, you’re right because of the angle it looks like they don’t pierce at all :slight_smile: Thanks for your feedback man.

Hey guys check this out! Dannybear played around with it a bit and I think it looks awesome. Wow! It’s amazing what a pair of fresh eyes and talent can do to a project. Very cool! Thanks Dannybear!

Attachments

I had to, I fiddled with it and popped out with this:

dwarf theme edit updated

HAHA! Wheeew. Very very cool dude!

I wasn’t going to but changed my mind … :slight_smile: I added a clean diffuse map for download. That way it’s more of a “blank canvas” to play with. Especially if one makes changes and want to update the bump map.

Okay well I’m working on improving the Troll within you :wink: but c’mon people I know that there are other themes we can turn Len into! Other than the ones hes doing himself. Len I bow before you, your model is beauty and the edge loops are great for animation! I’m in love…with your model :smiley:

Schhweeet! :slight_smile: I have to give credit to Jonathan Williamson (mr_bomb) though with regards the modelling, I followed his DVD tutorial very closely.

Guys I need your opinion if possible.

I gave this a bit of back lighting to lighten up the ear and earrings a tad, do you think this render looks better than the first? If I decide to go with it I’ll just have to do some touching up in photoshop afterwards to remove that light strip at the bottom of the chin.

Attachments

whats with the light under his neck?

Playing around with a multilayer skin shader based on a node setup by schuh:

Attachments

Dunno where it comes from, it only appears when I have the head tilted down, in the other one I’m working on where the head is straight-on it doesn’t happen. Will have a look at Schuh’s setup, but I don’t think my system can handle it.

its actually very easy to do, But now I’ve changed it a lot the original set up can be found here: http://www.dreaminmaniax.de/blender/tuts/skinshader/

And what I’ve been doing with it:

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9540/skinqv6.jpg

Len: check your PMs

Yikes! That looks awesome hey! Maybe post it under the WIP threads, then you can get some feedback from the community.

The only thing is the texture on the ears bug me a bit, my fault, I didn’t spend time on texturing it properly. And now because they get streched it distords more. Hmmm, let me know if there’s something I can do to fix it, but I think it would be tricky to update the ears without affecting the rest of the UV unrap.

really impressive work… looking this kind of art mke me feel right about learning and using blender… thanks in one hand, and congrats in the other… man … u rock!

very bloody well said indeed! :smiley:

btw. grats on being featured in blendernation! :wink:

I sign up to the thread… :stuck_out_tongue:

Victorfornes: Wow thanks man! Such a cool compliment :slight_smile:

Felix_Kütt: Thanks! It was an awesome surprise :slight_smile:

mjordan: Kewl :slight_smile: